California Zephyr 2016 Winter Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
I just completed a ride from Chicago to Emeryville on the train 5(13). While the train still has full consist including baggage car and transitional sleeper, the two sleepers are now back in the front behind the transition care. After the sleepers is the dining car, sightseer lounge, and coaches in the rear. Was not bad but miss being able to see all the train ahead out my room when train was winding around Colorado and Sierra Nevadas. Here is a link to just a sampling of the photos i took on last full day of the trip. You are welcomed to subscribe to my travel blog if you are interested in seeing photos of my travels. The link is Amtrak Winter Adventure January 2016.

Thanks for the eye candy! Does Amtrak take any special care to insure clean windows on this route?

Thanks for the eye candy! Does Amtrak take any special care to insure clean windows on this route?
In Denver they have window washers for at least the sightseer lounge car. I imagine if they're running on time or early, they may wash other cars windows.

I just completed a ride from Chicago to Emeryville on the train 5(13). While the train still has full consist including baggage car and transitional sleeper, the two sleepers are now back in the front behind the transition care. After the sleepers is the dining car, sightseer lounge, and coaches in the rear. Was not bad but miss being able to see all the train ahead out my room when train was winding around Colorado and Sierra Nevadas. Here is a link to just a sampling of the photos i took on last full day of the trip. You are welcomed to subscribe to my travel blog if you are interested in seeing photos of my travels. The link is Amtrak Winter Adventure January 2016.
I have a question about the Hyatt House Hotel: I know that you have stayed there before, do you try to get a room facing the train station or the bay? Can you recommend a good room? I am thinking about going there myself. Thanks.

I've stayed at the Emeryville Hyatt several times, and always ask for a room on the 6th floor or above facing the train station. The desk always tries to accommodate.

I have a question about the Hyatt House Hotel: I know that you have stayed there before, do you try to get a room facing the train station or the bay? Can you recommend a good room? I am thinking about going there myself. Thanks.
Yes, I really like staying at the Hyatt House on the track side. In fact, I have a favorite room 901 which is corner room overlooking the Emeryville Station. If you like trains and seeing them I recommend requesting a high floor room ending in x01. I've never stayed on the bay side. When I checked in last night, they had upgraded me to a bay side room but, happily, changed me back to my favorite 901.

In Denver they have window washers for at least the sightseer lounge car. I imagine if they're running on time or early, they may wash other cars windows.
They did wash the windows in Denver but was still smudgy. The windows in my room as well as the partition mirror had quite a few smudges inside which I cleaned up with tissue and also used one of the wash cloths provided. Whoever was in my room Bedroom D before had be quite messy and the cleaning of windows and mirrors left a little to be desired. By the way my SCA was Thomas and he was very good. He did not like the blanket in a plastic bag policy and let me know it right at the beginning. Second night he made the blanket out for me since you use the same blanket both nights. Thomas was my kind of SCA.

Thought you might like a pic of your train departing Chicago on the 13th courtesy of the Railstream cam

130116-5.jpg

During the week, it lost a coach for the winter adjustments. It carries a local coach during select days which is why the consist is currently reversed.

Yes, I really like staying at the Hyatt House on the track side. In fact, I have a favorite room 901 which is corner room overlooking the Emeryville Station. If you like trains and seeing them I recommend requesting a high floor room ending in x01. I've never stayed on the bay side. When I checked in last night, they had upgraded me to a bay side room but, happily, changed me back to my favorite 901.

Sorry about my previous post, I hit the wrong buttons! I have a question about the Hyatt House hotel across the tracks from the station.

Is it possible to earn AGR points staying there?

Sorry about my previous post, I hit the wrong buttons! I have a question about the Hyatt House hotel across the tracks from the station.

Is it possible to earn AGR points staying there?
If you use the Amtrak Guest Rewards credit cards, yes on the credit card charges. I don't know about other points earning ability on AGR. I have a Hyatt credit card and also am a Hyatt Gold Passport Member and earn points from my Hyatt stays on that program and not AGR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back