California Railpac News for July

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
“After 10 months in our fiscal year, we continue to AVERAGE a +13.8% growth rate in riders and +20.4% growth in revenue. While the only thing inhibiting greater growth, particularly in peak weekday travel periods, is availability of more coaches to add to existing trains, Caltrans has contracted with Amtrak to repair and renovate Amtrak Superliner coaches in exchange for 6 years of use here in California to help our capacity in peak travel periods. The first 2 such “Caltrans-liners” have already been completed by Amtrak, delivered to Oakland, and are now in service. You need to look carefully from the outside to see them, as their paint scheme is our standard Amtrak California paint scheme. Caltrans Division of Rail should get an award for this innovative approach to help meet our continuing passenger growth needs until new coaches arrive.”

Full Story is HERE.

Looks like another story that shows people are riding trains and would even more if there was more equipment and routes.

So, are these wreck repairs that Amtrak might not otherwise do, or does this assist in Amtrak's equipment shortfall?

So, are these wreck repairs that Amtrak might not otherwise do, or does this assist in Amtrak's equipment shortfall?
It sounds like they repaired cars are only for Amtrak California trains.
That doesn't answer the question.

If these are wreck repairs that Amtrak would have otherwise done, then these are cars that won't be back into the regular pool that otherwise would have.

It sounds like they repaired cars are only for Amtrak California trains.
That doesn't answer the question.

If these are wreck repairs that Amtrak would have otherwise done, then these are cars that won't be back into the regular pool that otherwise would have.
I see what you are saying, but I don't know the answer and the article didn't say, either. If they were wrecked California equipment to begin with, then it doesn't subtract from Amtrak's overall count, but if they rebuilt some Amtrak cars just for California, then, that is Amtrak's loss, I guess. Perhaps California could afford to pay for repairs when Amtrak couldn't.

Well it sure sounds like Amtrak did indeed give up some of it's Superliner cars for six years, based upon the quote below.

Caltrans has contracted with Amtrak to repair and renovate Amtrak Superliner coaches in exchange for 6 years of use here in California to help our capacity in peak travel periods. The first 2 such “Caltrans-liners” have already been completed by Amtrak, delivered to Oakland, and are now in service. You need to look carefully from the outside to see them, as their paint scheme is our standard Amtrak California paint scheme.

While I'm no expert, I think you guys are overlooking the key word in the story: CONTRACTED.

To me that strongly implies that Caltrans is paying for repairs and renovation that Amtrak likely couldn't otherwise afford to do. So if Amtrak couldn't afford to repair and renovate the cars on its own, they'd be out of service anyway. I'm sure we're all quite aware of Amtrak's tenuous, if not perilous, funding. And I've seen Tom's pics of the shops - wrecked hulks lying about. If such cars can be restored to service, so much the better.

As a Californian I'm biased, of course, but I see nothing wrong with Caltrans getting what it pays for. And after all, as I understand it Amtrak California is funded by Caltrans anyway.

Is it possible that some of you eastoids are somewhat taken aback by the explosive growth of rail here in CARifornia? B)

To me that strongly implies that Caltrans is paying for repairs and renovation that Amtrak likely couldn't otherwise afford to do.
I think you're correct, because when a Caltrans guy was asked about the lack of new equipment for the Coast Daylight (which Caltrans wants to start next year) he said something to the effect of, "That's not an issue -- we can always refurbish equipment and use that." Given that there are no spare CA-owned coaches, that must mean refurbishing Amtrak stock.

If it's good enough for the Coast Daylight, I'm sure it's good enough for the San Joaquin.

And I'll second Whooz' thought: I'm glad CA values and prioritizes rail development, despite our cartopia reputation.

To me that strongly implies that Caltrans is paying for repairs and renovation that Amtrak likely couldn't otherwise afford to do.
I think you're correct, because when a Caltrans guy was asked about the lack of new equipment for the Coast Daylight (which Caltrans wants to start next year) he said something to the effect of, "That's not an issue -- we can always refurbish equipment and use that." Given that there are no spare CA-owned coaches, that must mean refurbishing Amtrak stock.

If it's good enough for the Coast Daylight, I'm sure it's good enough for the San Joaquin.

And I'll second Whooz' thought: I'm glad CA values and prioritizes rail development, despite our cartopia reputation.
I'd like to point out that California's rail growth is occurring in spite of, not because of, The Governator (Schwarzenegger). He likes to talk the talk, but when push comes to shove on funding, he doesn't walk the walk.

WOW! Somehow logged on using my original name. Check out that date and member number! Hey Alan, can you resolve this one way or another, hopefully by axing the original so this doesn't happen again?

I was cruising RailPictures.net and found this one:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...6881&nseq=6

This is Superliner I coach 34081, now called Pleasant Grove, 34981. According to OTOL, Amtrak has also delivered coach 34053, now called Pacific Grove, 34953. (For reference, http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtkrinf-supercal.shtml)

Both of these cars appear to have only been in derailment accidents. As far as I can tell, both have been "in repair" for several years, only to come out of Beach Grove after California agreed to pay for the repairs.

Both of these cars appear to have only been in derailment accidents. As far as I can tell, both have been "in repair" for several years, only to come out of Beach Grove after California agreed to pay for the repairs.
34053 derailed in Kensington Maryland in July 2002 on the Capitol Limited.

34081 derailed in Kansas City in Feb 2004.

Reviving this thread to report that a CSCN member states that the last California Superliner refurbish left Beech Grove last week. The car, 31934 "Cedar Grove," should have arrived in Oakland today via the California Zephyr, for use in the Capitol Corridor-San Joaquin pool.

Based on the mention of baggage service, I presume that this is a baggage-coach.

Would the Daylight run from San Francisco (rather than Oakland) to Los Angeles?

Maybe. Although, as you can tell by dates, they didn't get it started last year as they had wanted. And this year, the Central Coast Daylight was (and, perhaps, still is) in danger of getting the axe.

As part of refurbishment, I'm wondering if those two coaches were given California Car interiors, or if they retain their Superliner interiors, or if it's some hybrid.

Well I saw a Surfliner-ed Superliner coach and they put in leg-foot rest-less seats regular seats and some tables and outlets. I would think it is the same for the California coaches.

cpamtfan-Peter

I was cruising RailPictures.net and found this one:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...6881&nseq=6
That's a great photo! I've noticed these Superliners running in CC consists, and had one experience riding in one. The interior was exactly the same as LD Superliners I've taken, with one surprising exception. Where the lower level seating or baggage area might be (or in the old days, the smoking room), is the cafe. The CC train did not have the usual California Amtrak Cafe car, with the cafe on the upper level, but instead had this modified Superliner with a lower level cafe.

I've never seen a cafe set up like this on an LD train. Usually it's in the observation car. I suppose with this set up they get more revenue seating with the same number of cars on the train. The downside is there is no cafe seating. You have to take your food back to your seat.

This is the first one I've seen with the California paint scheme though. That's a nice picture.

I've seen these Superliners in CC trains, but so far haven't run into any on the San Joaquin.

Wow, what happened to the Coast Daylight? I've held off taking a trip to San Francisco for years now, waiting to take the train directly there nonstop from LAX!

At this rate, I'd be better off waiting for them to re-instate the overnight Lark! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you can, but it's not the non-stop ride that you used to be able to do with the Coast Daylight, and unfortunately it may be a major reason people don't think to take the train between those two major CA cities. (LA and SFO).

What's keeping this train from happening these days? They basically need one additional set and some spares, right? They've already got one set going to SLO each day, they just need one more so a set can overnight in SFO... Maybe I'm missing something and it's not that simple?

I guess this might be on the table again when we start to see the new order of Surfliner/California Cars come in? Anybody know when they're expected?

Last edited by a moderator:
I may need to dig through the Internets to find more information, but it's not just a matter of equipment. IIRC, Union Pacific has some strong concerns about adding additional passenger trains along the Coast route.

I think that's one reason why CalTrain access south of San Jose is an ongoing issue.

I may need to dig through the Internets to find more information, but it's not just a matter of equipment. IIRC, Union Pacific has some strong concerns about adding additional passenger trains along the Coast route.
I think that's one reason why CalTrain access south of San Jose is an ongoing issue.
Which doesn't make any sense. I subscribe to a Yahoo! Groups email list that discusses movements along the Coast Line, and (while I haven't actively read the emails I receive in awhile ;) ) the consensus seems to be that UP has relegated that line to overflow and low-priority traffic. Since both L.A. and Oakland have major port operations, there's little traffic directly between the two cities--most rail traffic is headed from the ports to points further east, and for pretty much everything other than O&D traffic directly between L.A. and the Bay Area, it's faster and more efficient to send traffic via Tehachapi and the Central Valley.

Certainly the reports I see of movements along the Coast Line aren't representative of a highly-trafficked line--a few mixed manifests and empty stack trains are the bulk of the traffic.

So, is it UP just trying to protect their turf while they can (the slippery slope logical fallacy), or do they seriously plan on using that line more frequently in the future? Or do they know something the rest of us don't?

Strange.

That's because the last thing UP ever wants is more passenger train's on their lines because they don't let them run their railroad the way they want to- this is why UP constantly tries to delay Amtrak trains as much as possible.

Certainly the reports I see of movements along the Coast Line aren't representative of a highly-trafficked line--a few mixed manifests and empty stack trains are the bulk of the traffic.
I'm no fan of UP... but there's only so much you can stuff down a small pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back