California Northern Railroad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
You guys will probably think this is the most boring video ever, but here goes:

While traveling north on I-5 yesterday, I saw this little train traveling south alongside the rice fields. I took the next exit, drove past the train (only had to go about 50 mph to overtake it!), grabbed my ever-present Flip camera and stood beside the track as it passed. I've seen this train a few times, but was never in a place where I could get off the freeway quickly enough to get a video. The engineer would probably be offended if he knew I think his train is "cute", but it is!

Not boring, and pretty decent quality from that Flip. While chasing steam in May we encountered a guy using one. New to me, so I asked about it and the dude raved; couldn't say enough good stuff about the little thing.

California Northern Railroad is a RailAmerica property, and it appears the locomotive in the video is the N-ViroMotive gen-set (multiple diesel engines cutting in and out as power demands fluctuate) acquired last year.

Back