California Guest Rewards Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
Question regarding California rail trips using Rewards Points.

I noticed that a coach ticket on the California supported trains (Capitol Corridor, Surfliner, San Joaquins, etc) are 1000 points per ticket. If one were riding the San Joaquins from Sacramento to LAX does the 1000 point ticket include the bus from Bakersfield to LA?

If I want to go from Sacramento to San Diego via San Joaquins and Surliner, would that be 2,000 points total? :unsure:

Thanks for your advice

Railroad Bill

Bill,

It would certainly be 1,000 points total from SAC to LAX for the train/bus ride. That would consitute one award, even though there are two tickets.

I'm less certain about SAC to San Diego, they might consider that one award or they might consider it two. I just don't know.

I heard that you can travel from northern CA to Las Vegas for the same 1,000 points - and that would include a few buses and trains total!
I just looked up San Jose to Las Vegas. There are two options:

1)

- San Jose to Stockton - bus

- Stockton to Bakersfield - San Joaquin

- Bakersfield to Las Vegas - bus

2)

- San Jose to Santa Barbara - bus

- Santa Barbara to Los Angeles - Pacific Surfliner

- Los Angeles to Las Vegas - bus

Either option is about $80 standard fare. So if this could be done with 1000 AGR points (purchased at $27.50) that would be quite a bargain! I guess the question is: are bus segments allowed for this deal?

Back