California Fires

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My San Joaquin last week was delayed due to a brush fire near Martinez.

In general, people on or near the tracks have a greater affect on trains than fires.

The last real fire-related service disruption around here was several years ago, when the UP/Amtrak/Metrolink line on the coast route was shut down for a couple days due to brushfires between Moorpark and Simi Valley.

Worse was a flooded main line around Moorpark a couple years earlier. Weeks out of service. Arrived at Burbank airport from the east the day the line was shut down. Schedule in hand, I waited and waited. Nothing. Finally called and was told there were no trains due to washout. And no bustitution. On my own, sitting at the station with a girl from overseas who had also just arrived at the airport and didn't really know where she was.

Finally called a buddy, who agreed to come get us if I would buy him lunch. Deal!

Dropped the girl somewhere in the San Fernando Valley, where she had located a friend, then went to lunch at In-N-Out.

... then went to lunch at In-N-Out.
I haven't had an In-N-Out in years. Are they still good and tasty?
More than a YES! It's too good. I miss'em badly because I'm a California native. Whenever I'm in CA, I go for it! My favorite: double double with grilled onions, freshly cutted fries, and chocolate shake (or pink lemonade).

Hey Whooz, be sure to add this resturant to the list for AU Gathering this fall!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Whooz, be sure to add this resturant to the list for AU Gathering this fall
We have a planning committee for these things, and nothing finalized on the food front. The only thing I can guarantee at this point is that killer French dip sandwiches are available just a brief walk from L.A. Union Station.

On the rail riding itinerary for the Gathering, I think it's fair to say that the things we're looking at will include something for everybody.

<_< OK, enough is enough, what the Train Whistle is an "In & Out"?

:rolleyes:
A burger chain in the Southwest known for, among other things, the willingness of its employees to make items not actually on the displayed menu (ie, "secret menu" items). Perhaps this is because the chain's cash register and pricing system is set up to be extremely flexible and easy to use; perhaps because it tends to attract employees with a greater sense of fun. Some of the more infamous items are well-documented on the web. (Warning, that link leads to ... a disturbingly large cheeseburger. The sort of cheeseburger about which you could say "that's no cheeseburger! that's a space station!")

[EDIT: here's a direct link to the massive cheeseburger. The other link was to a blog about In'N'Out which includes one photograph of the cheeseburger fairly far down on the page, but also includes a mention of the stores gswager mentions seeing outside the train windows in the below reply.]

A burger chain in the Southwest known for, among other things, the willingness of its employees to make items not actually on the displayed menu (ie, "secret menu" items). Perhaps this is because the chain's cash register and pricing system is set up to be extremely flexible and easy to use; perhaps because it tends to attract employees with a greater sense of fun. Some of the more infamous items are well-documented on the web. (Warning, that link leads to ... a disturbingly large cheeseburger. The sort of cheeseburger about which you could say "that's no cheeseburger! that's a space station!")
It's on rail topic. I saw that building from Metrolink San Bernardino last December. I had my head scratching on why there are two In-N-Out Burger stands on both sides of intersection. Finally figured it out today.

I was all set to tell you that "Nah, that cheeseburger isn't all that large.", because nobody, to my knowledge, makes something like my buffalo-and-lamb-with-red-wine-and-spices-smothered-in-bbq-sauce pound and a half goat-provolone-cheddar-and-bacon burgers. But crikey, that thing is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back