Cab from CHI Union Station to O'Hare?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rorygentry

How much should I expect to pay for a cab from Chicago Union Station to ORD (O'Hare Airport)? Will any taxi take me there, or are there "dedicated" airport taxis?

I paid about $35 to take taxi from Union Station to Rosemont Hilton in August. No there are no "dedicated" airport taxis. If you do not have much luggage, take CTA train to O'Hare from the Clinton stop two blocks from the station.

Two things to consider if you take the taxi. Most taxi driver will take you there the long way to get a higher fare and also they only give change to the nearest dollor.

Chicago cabs are required to take Visa and MC.

You may want to consider a shared van service such as Go Airport Express.

They charge $ 30 one way from Union Station to ORD.

I am in Chicago a lot and go between Union Station and ORD frequently. Unless you have a large amount of luggage take the Blue Line (two blocks from Union Station, which goes directly to ORD--in fact the last station on the Blue Line pulls into the heart of the airport. The cost is just a few bucks compared to the $40 average for a taxi, and yes I agree with the others the CTA train is as fast or faster than a taxi.

I am in Chicago a lot and go between Union Station and ORD frequently. Unless you have a large amount of luggage take the Blue Line (two blocks from Union Station, which goes directly to ORD--in fact the last station on the Blue Line pulls into the heart of the airport. The cost is just a few bucks compared to the $40 average for a taxi, and yes I agree with the others the CTA train is as fast or faster than a taxi.
This, verbatim. I would definitely take the L if you don't have a ton of luggage, especially if it's anywhere close to rush hour(s) and/or a weekend.

I second, third and fourth the idea of taking the Blue Line. It begins right at ORD, and if you get off at the (IIRC) State Street station - it's been too many years since I've taken the Blue Line - your only a few blocks away from Union Station. The fare is $5 from ORD or $2.50 the other way. Price wise, much better, traffic wise, priceless! :)

I've taken the blue line to O'Hare... that is one long train ride! Plenty of stops along the way...

Clinton is the closest stop to the Amtrak station. It's a couple blocks south, underneath an overpass.

Here's the timetable:

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/blueline_schedules/Clinton.pdf

You can bookmark the tracker on your phone if that's easier (it's definitely more reliable than the timetable):

http://www.transitchicago.com/traintracker/arrivaltimes.aspx?sid=40430

When you get off at Clinton, take the escalator up and walk north along Clinton (there is a sign pointing in the direction of Union Station at the exit from the Clinton station). The entrance to Union Station is near the intersection with Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back