BWI transfer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to spend some time in Charlottesville in May and June. If I fly to BWI, what is the latest arrival I could have in order to make the NER 171 departure at 3:39 pm? Does anyone have a better idea to get from San Antone to CVS?

You'll have to take a bus from the airport to the BWI train station. It's probably about a 15 minute ride and they run probably every 15 minutes during the day... so you'll definitely have to leave some time for that.

Also, you have to prepare for the chance is late, or to collect your bags (if you check any on the plane)! So I would not take a flight arriving at 3:30 if you want to catch the 3:39 train!
rolleyes.gif
To be (more) safe, I would allow at least 2-3 hours between your flight's arrival and the train's departure.

And don't forget that there is no "guaranteed connection" between a flight and a train!

I plan to spend some time in Charlottesville in May and June. If I fly to BWI, what is the latest arrival I could have in order to make the NER 171 departure at 3:39 pm? Does anyone have a better idea to get from San Antone to CVS?
Fly directly there? The fare from SAT to Charlottesville (CHO) is lower than the fare from SAT to BWI. Delta has a connection from SAT (10:40a) to CHO (4:29p) through ATL for $133 ow/ai. Best I can see SAT-BWI is about $145 ow/ai. You could always do a round trip from CVS to WAS on Amtrak while you are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option, though more expensive, would be the Texas Eagle then Cardinal direct to Charlottesville. Flying to Chicago or Indianapolis to catch the Cardinal would save some time and money.

But don't forget you can still take the Crescent to Charlottesville. It's an hour and half later than 171 but you would get dinner in the diner. This would require the interesting light rail trip from the airport to Penn Station (change at Mt. Royal) Baltimore so probably mean you'd have to arrive BWI about the same time as getting 171. Could also take the BWI shuttle to the rail station and take the MARC commuter train direct to Penn Station. Both options would probably take about 60-90 min.

But don't forget you can still take the Crescent to Charlottesville. It's an hour and half later than 171 but you would get dinner in the diner. This would require the interesting light rail trip from the airport to Penn Station (change at Mt. Royal) Baltimore so probably mean you'd have to arrive BWI about the same time as getting 171. Could also take the BWI shuttle to the rail station and take the MARC commuter train direct to Penn Station. Both options would probably take about 60-90 min.
Hmm, if he is taking Amtrak south to CVS and gets on MARC at BWI airport, wouldn't it make more sense to take MARC to DC Union Station and get on Amtrak there? Baltimore Penn Station is in the opposite direction.

A drawback to taking the Crescent is that the ticket prices for a WAS to CVS segment are markedly higher than the Lynchburger Regional.

Hmm, if he is taking Amtrak south to CVS and gets on MARC at BWI airport, wouldn't it make more sense to take MARC to DC Union Station and get on Amtrak there? Baltimore Penn Station is in the opposite direction.

A drawback to taking the Crescent is that the ticket prices for a WAS to CVS segment are markedly higher than the Lynchburger Regional.
Yes, taking MARC to Washington would be shorter and faster. But, at least for me, I would prefer to board the Crescent in Baltimore at 5:14 rather than Washington shortly before its 6:30 departure just to make sure I can enjoy dinner in the diner (and don't get shut out by sleeping car passengers). Railfans have been known to do strange things.

The Baltimore light rail leaves directly from the airport terminal, while if you take MARC (or Amtrak) to Washington you first need to take the shuttle bus to the BWI Rail Station.

However the light rail will require a transfer at the Mount Royal station

(or just walk from Mt. Royal, which is what I usually do)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baltimore light rail leaves directly from the airport terminal, while if you take MARC (or Amtrak) to Washington you first need to take the shuttle bus to the BWI Rail Station.
Depending where you are in the terminal, the light rail platforms can be a very long walk away.

Fly directly there? The fare from SAT to Charlottesville (CHO) is lower than the fare from SAT to BWI. Delta has a connection from SAT (10:40a) to CHO (4:29p) through ATL for $133 ow/ai. Best I can see SAT-BWI is about $145 ow/ai. You could always do a round trip from CVS to WAS on Amtrak while you are there.
Oh, wow! Better prepare for defence, because these railfans don't like airliner supporters, to say the least! :blink:

Another option, though more expensive, would be the Texas Eagle then Cardinal direct to Charlottesville. Flying to Chicago or Indianapolis to catch the Cardinal would save some time and money.

How much more expensive is the TE/Cardinal anyway? Or SL/Crescent with NOL stopover?

The reason that the Crescent is more expensive than Lynchburger is presumably because the latter uses Amfleet I coaches and dosen't have a diner or checked baggage.

However the light rail will require a transfer at the Mount Royal station

(or just walk from Mt. Royal, which is what I usually do)
First time I was in Baltimore I waited forever to get the lightrail from Mount Royal to the station. I kept pacing back and forth on the platform and when I relazed that if I lined up all my pacing in one direction I would have been at the station already. Live and learn.

Oh, wow! Better prepare for defence, because these railfans don't like airliner supporters, to say the least! :blink:
Actually many of us who know Bill (PRR60) know that he's as much a airfan as he is a railfan. And he's got a thick skin, so he can take it.

The reason that the Crescent is more expensive than Lynchburger is presumably because the latter uses Amfleet I coaches and dosen't have a diner or checked baggage.
The reason that the Crescent is more expensive is simply that Amtrak wants to keep those seats open for the longer distance passengers and wants the short haul passengers to take the Lynchburger. If you don't, then you pay for it and help Amtrak get closer to covering costs.

Depending where you are in the terminal, the light rail platforms can be a very long walk away.
Agree, unless you have a backpack-style luggage, toting roller-board type of luggage from BWI's light rail to your gate is one helluva hike/pull, unless you are flying international, or charter. If you are flying SWA, it's a Loooooooooooooooong hike, opposite end of the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back