Buying points with AGR MasterCard.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to double/ triple dip, by using the card to buy miles, and help me get to my 500 dollars in 3 months, for the AGR card bonus.

Follow up question, when you spend 1$ on travel, AGR gives you 2 points. When you pay for amtrak with the card, do you yet 2/ $1 from amtrak, and 2 for 1 on the card, which would be 4 points per dollar?

Thanks.

Yes, though the points earned from Amtrak are different for tickets that cost less than $50, or for Acela trips between certain city pairs.

You always get 2 points per $ for Amtrak travel, no matter how you paid. Chase also gives you 2 points per $ if you pay for them with the AGR MasterCard from Chase. So you do in effect receive 4 points per $.

But if the segment costs under $50, you actually get more - due to the 100 point minimum per segment. Example: If the segment costs $15, you do not earn 60 points ($15 x 4), you earn 130 points (the 100 point minimum + $15 x 2) instead! :)

Also worth noting that only the 2 points per dollar (or 100 points if the ticket is less than $50, or the 500 or 750 points you get for Acela Express between certain cities) are the points that count towards status (Select/+/Executive).

There was (or still is) a problem with the choices. Even though one of the options was/is "AGR MasterCard", for some reason it would not work/take. However, if you chose "MasterCard" and input the same credit card number, it went thru with no problem.

There was (or still is) a problem with the choices. Even though one of the options was/is "AGR MasterCard", for some reason it would not work/take. However, if you chose "MasterCard" and input the same credit card number, it went thru with no problem.
I actually tried that without success. Course, that was last year or the year before.

I noticed My GR # is under my name on the card. Did I remember correct that this is now your GR card for Amtrak purposes. Also was there another perk with the card, like entrance to the lounge?

The AGR number should be the same AGR number as is on your AGR account. If not, contact AGR ASAP and combine the two accounts! If it's determined you have 2 AGR accounts, it is possible they may close 1 or both accounts and forfeit any points in that/those accounts.

There is no additional "perks" - but the biggest one is that just by having the card, any points in your AGR account do not expire ever! (It would not expire every 36 months if you did not travel on Amtrak during that period.) Another is that you receive a 5% rebate on any award redemption. (A 15,000 point will result in a 750 point rebate - but you first must have 15,000 points to redeem.)

I find the best way to earn AGR points is to use the card to pay for everything. I use mine to buy gas, food, travel, newspapers, coffee, shopping, etc... - and increase my AGR account by over 1,000 points every month. And this is for buying things I would buy and pay cash for anyway.

The thing I like most is that there is no annual fee, unlike other cards that may cost $95 or more each year just to have it in your pocket.

I just bought 10,000 points at AGR with my AGR MC without any problem whatsoever. The points will post in 72 hours, it says. But the process was simple and it accepted the AGR card without problem. Printman....could it be the browser you're using, or even what blockers you may have on your computer? It worked for me - maybe you should try again!!

Back