Buying Liquor in LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedhd

Train Attendant
I will be riding the Sl/TE out of union station in LA and was wondering if there is a store nearby that sells alcoholic beverages, such as whiskey? Walking directions and distance would be helpful.

There should be something across from the station in the direction of the Metro Plaza Hotel and Philippe. If liquor can be sold in gas stations/ C-stores in California there are a couple of those right by the Metro Plaza.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can only consume it in your sleeper though, not in any public areas on the train.

There should be something across from the station in the direction of the Metro Plaza Hotel and Phillipe. If liquor can be sold in gas stations/ C-stores in California there are a couple of those right by the Metro Plaza.
"C-Stores"?...and to my knowledge, liquor is NOT available at gas stations here in California (at least I've never gone to a gas station for liquor).

CVS Pharmacy is located in a mall of sorts below city hall at 201 North Los Angeles Street, (closed Sat & Sun though) and is a short 5-10 minute walk from the station.

There is also a liquor store in the same block as the Metro Plaza Hotel - just up Cesar Chavez Drive a bit, I'm not sure of their hours though.

The liquor store is in Chinatown. It has a very small selection and only takes cash. I don't remember the cross streets, but the people in the lobby of Metro Plaza gave us directions. We ended up with a very old bottle of gin with a neat label they don't make anymore. Steer clear of the clearance wine, everything had turned.

Macys liquor store one block away

111 w.cesar Chavez

213-628-8123
Macy is closed for good.

Sorrento is the closest , further up W Cesar..closes at 8 i beleive.

Quoted for truth. I bought a bottle of sparkling wine there. It was flat, yet oxidized. Honest, it was brown like sherry.
Not sure I'd trust any of the "liquor stores" downtown -- honestly, from Union Station, I'd consider taking the Red Line to 7th Street/Metro Center and then walking south 2 blocks to the Ralphs supermarket at 9th and Flower.

Looking for actual liquor, I ended walking all the way to a Japanese section on the other side of the thruway. There didn't seem to be anything available near the station! Did find a nice bottle of 12 year old Scotch, however.

No consumption of alcohol permitted in the metropolitan lounge in LAUPT.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

CVS Pharmacy is located in a mall of sorts below city hall at 201 North Los Angeles Street, (closed Sat & Sun though) and is a short 5-10 minute walk from the station.

There is also a liquor store in the same block as the Metro Plaza Hotel - just up Cesar Chavez Drive a bit, I'm not sure of their hours though.
Leave it to one of the 2 Joes to know where to find Alcohol! :p

Leave it to one of the 2 Joes to know where to find Alcohol! :p
Strictly for Medicinal Purposes! :lol:

No consumption of alcohol permitted in the metropolitan lounge in LAUPT.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
All I can find is this:

Food and beverages may not be brought into ClubAcela.for consumption.
But I see users her post about bringing in large quantities of pizza to CHI Metro Lounge.

This may not be handiest, but when I top off my liquor supply in LA I use the BevMo in Pasadena, which is easily accessible using the Gold Line from LAUPT. Take the Gold Line to the Fillmore stop in Pasadena. Walk east (left from exit from the platform) toward Arroyo Parkway. Turn right on Arroyo Parkway and walk about 1 block down. It is to your right, you can't miss it. It takes about 30-35 minutes each way, but BevMo has a great selection and the neighborhood there is fine (unlike around LAUPT).

I have a humorous story from long ago while I was still drinking (I have almost 20 years of sobriety)

I was headed to SF on the CZ and met some very agreeable characters who drank as much as I did. So much so that we were about to dry out the lounge café, and the attendant said because we would hit Salt Lake on a Sunday, they wouldn't load anymore. As we had not yet hit Grand Junction I concocted a scheme to jump off and run down to a liquor store that I knew was about two blocks away. I collected about $300 from my companions,,, and jumped off on the mission when we hit GJ. I got to otherwise distracted and decided to spend the night in GJ. I called down to the station and left a message for the attendant (who I had already generously tipped) to collect my stuff and leave at Oakland for me. Things were much different then, and I actually did this a couple of times in the 80's.

Fast forward to the arrival in Oakland a day later than expected. One of the fine fellows, who was very large, was waiting when I jumped off. I instantly recognized him and walked over to him. "Sorry about the confusion" I said. He started to grumble when I pulled out my money clip. "Here is the $20 you gave me, and $20 for your trouble." His reaction was "thanks" and he walked away. BTW., my stuff was waiting for me in the baggage room.

To make this even more incredible, on my trip back to CHI I had the same car attendant as the trip out. He started laughing as soon as he saw me. I peeled off two $20's immediately. To me, the best Amtrak service I have ever received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back