Buy Points Promo Is Back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
FWIW, I recently received an email from AGR. Buy Points promotion is back again. Up to 30% additional points on a 15k max purchase. It runs until the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last chance for 2015 and perhaps forever? Get 'em while they're Hot!*

Those of us who have already bought the 15,000 Max for 2015 ( except Select Exec) are SOL!

* must be a targeted promo!

Last chance for 2015 and perhaps forever? Get 'em while they're Hot!*

Those of us who have already bought the 15,000 Max for 2015 ( except Select Exec) are SOL!

* must be a targeted promo!
Probably is targeted Jim. I have not purchased any points this year. My wife also received the offer and she has not purchased any points this year as well.

With the upcoming AGR zone change, what are my options if I purchase enough points for a long one zone trip and book for January or February? Will they allow that?

You can book with the current program up until late January - for travel in 2016. So by purchasing points now, you can use those new points for a cross country trip in 2016 - with the current program rules (20,000 /two zone roomette, etc...).

With the upcoming AGR zone change, what are my options if I purchase enough points for a long one zone trip and book for January or February? Will they allow that?
As abcnews said, you can buy points now and book AGR travel using the existing zone system until January 23, 2016. Starting January 24, the new program takes over. Note that if you make any changes to a reservation after January 23, the reservation will be repriced in points using the new system, That may be good, or may not. As long as you do not touch a pre-January 24 reservation, the old pricing will not change.

Just wondering--would changing traveling companions on a reservation after Jan. 24th make the old reservation using current rules void? Everything else on the reservation would stay the same. One member in our party is not sure if she will or won't be going on the trip in May.

You can book with the current program up until late January - for travel in 2016. So by purchasing points now, you can use those new points for a cross country trip in 2016 - with the current program rules (20,000 /two zone roomette, etc...).

Perfect! Thank you!

Just wondering--would changing traveling companions on a reservation after Jan. 24th make the old reservation using current rules void? Everything else on the reservation would stay the same. One member in our party is not sure if she will or won't be going on the trip in May.
As I understand it, changing a reservation after 24 Jan would cause the new rules to apply. If you only changed part of the reservation (left one person the same but cancelled the other) it would be interesting to see that is handled.

Am I correct in noticing that the points are much more expensive in the past? I have bought the maximum points allowed the last 2-3 years without hesitation. I think it was maybe 200-something dollars. Now it's over 500. Is it really worth it?

Gottta wait until January...already maxed out for this calendar year.
Thanx, I wasn't thinking! I have 7834 existing pts. I can still purchase another 5k this year with a bonus offer (5k=6k) & on Jan 1st buy another 6500 pts. & have enough for a 2 zone roomette award as long as I book before Jan 24th for travel, (old zone rules) & within 11 months out!!!

Please check my figures if you have time, this Old Brain Pan doesn't work like it used to!!! LOL :hi:

RF

Am I correct in noticing that the points are much more expensive in the past? I have bought the maximum points allowed the last 2-3 years without hesitation. I think it was maybe 200-something dollars. Now it's over 500. Is it really worth it?
Only if you can convert them to an EXTREMELY long redemption BEFORE the new AGR takes hold.

I agree, if you're buying these @ the New Expensive rates you will want to book a high bucket/long trip so you receive value for your purchase!

You might be better off doing point runs with the money depending on where you live and the number of Trains and the available fares.

Do the Math! as W used to say.( even though he couldn't!)

It seems like it was $275 for 10,000 points, which was the maximum purchase. Now the maximum is 15,000 points, so even at the old rate, it would be $412.50. Yes the price went up, but not as much as "200-something dollars" and "over 500" would seem to imply, because the maximum changed. Or did I misunderstand?

The bonus promo sells 19.500 points (15k + 30%) for $565.50, which is .029 cents per point.....which comes up to exactly the same as the redemption rate in the new scheme.... I suppose it could be looked at as kinda loaning Amtrak some $$$$$ ?

Looks like a good deal, if one wanted to use them under the zone system, but a wash under the new scheme.

Amtrak’s new redemption amount for a $100 coach or business ticket.Under the new program, your redemption rate will vary depending on the cost of each leg of your journey. For example, a $100 ticket on a regular train will cost 3,450 points, making points worth 2.9 cents each (which is actually quite good) — in some cases your trip will require fewer points than it would under the current program.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/amtrak-rewards-changes/#ixzz3sAHJNnaO

"Up to 30% more" Not such a great deal. If it was 30 percent more no matter how many points you bought 500 and up, it would be a better deal. 500 points now cost close to $19. Using Double Days on point runs that cost $12 was a much better deal. 450 (with select)R/T for $11.90 on The Keystones. I'm glad I accumulated my points during the just ended promotion.

Back