Buy points fee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
So here's my question. Does anyone know what the current fee is for transferring bought points to someone who has maxed out their bought points for the year.

For example:

Person 1 buys 10,000 points. Person 2 buys 5,000 points and wants to transfer all those points to Person 1.

I thought that (except for SE members who can buy unlimited amounts of points) transferring points is considered the same as buying points in the eyes of the 10,000 AGR points per year limit?

You can share 100,000 points in a calendar year (in 1000-point increments).

So, if I purchase the maximum 10,000 points but want more, someone else could send 20,000 points to my account.

I can't remember if there's a cap on points you can receive as a gift. I know I dug it up at some point. I'll search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that (except for SE members who can buy unlimited amounts of points) transferring points is considered the same as buying points in the eyes of the 10,000 AGR points per year limit?
What you're thinking of is a person can only buy or *** GIFT *** 10,000 points (not including bonus). It is gifting that is limited to 10K, not transferring.

500 points = $13.75

5000 points = $137.50

10,000 points = $275.00

Every so often, AGR has point sales where you get 30% bonus points. I love those because that means I can buy 10,000 points, and they'll credit 13,000 to my account. I usually have 2-3000 from travel, so that means 15,000 - 16,000 in my account. 15,000 points will get you a one-zone roomette. :) Even when roomettes on the SWC are low-bucket, they're still around $500-600 if both of us travel. I buy points for our trip every year since it's about half-price that way.

Sorry for the slight off topic, but I just wanted to be sure there is no way to buy/sell/trade/beg for tier points? If I get both my trips in this year as planned I will be about 4-5 hundred short of the first level.

Sorry for the slight off topic, but I just wanted to be sure there is no way to buy/sell/trade/beg for tier points? If I get both my trips in this year as planned I will be about 4-5 hundred short of the first level.
But the first level really don't get you squat either, so i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.............

Buddy, do you live in an area where stations are relatively close together? You're guaranteed a minimum of 100 points, so even if you pay $8 to ride to a station 20 miles away, you'll get those 100 points.

Additionally, Amtrak has a Double Days promotion right now, so you get 200 points. There is a limit to the number of trips that will earn double points each day, but it's still pretty fun and worth it to do "point runs".

For example, I live in KAL, and it's a 30-minute ride to BTL. If I buy the tickets in advance, it's around $8 each way. So, for $16, I can get 200 points on a normal day and 400 during Double Days. Since there are several trains that run between KAL and BTL, I can do that point run 3-4 times on a Saturday and Sunday.

The additional Double Day points themselves don't qualify for tier status, only the actual points for travel, but points are points. :) You can still use them for travel, as long as it isn't a blackout date. I do point runs when we need another 1000-2000 points to get a roomette. In some cases, it's cheaper than buying points, and for those of us who buy 10,000 points every year (the limit), it's the only option unless we want to ask someone to buy points and then transfer them to our account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy, do you live in an area where stations are relatively close together? You're guaranteed a minimum of 100 points, so even if you pay $8 to ride to a station 20 miles away, you'll get those 100 points.

Additionally, Amtrak has a Double Days promotion right now, so you get 200 points. There is a limit to the number of trips that will earn double points each day, but it's still pretty fun and worth it to do "point runs".

For example, I live in KAL, and it's a 30-minute ride to BTL. If I buy the tickets in advance, it's around $8 each way. So, for $16, I can get 200 points on a normal day and 400 during Double Days. Since there are several trains that run between KAL and BTL, I can do that point run 3-4 times on a Saturday and Sunday.

The additional Double Day points themselves don't qualify for tier status, only the actual points for travel, but points are points. :) You can still use them for travel, as long as it isn't a blackout date. I do point runs when we need another 1000-2000 points to get a roomette. In some cases, it's cheaper than buying points, and for those of us who buy 10,000 points every year (the limit), it's the only option unless we want to ask someone to buy points and then transfer them to our account.
I wish I did but the 2 stations I have access to only have 1 LD train each way/day.

Back