Business Travel with Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_Metra

Train Attendant
Thank you for all your comments I think I would like to clear up a few things:

1) I did not know about the Amtrak Express situation. I am sorry about the confusion this created. What I was trying to describe was a series of short-haul trains within the present system. We can call them “specials” instead. These “specials” would serve between two cities within the present system.

2) Here some examples of “specials”:

a) Empire Builder Chicago – Minneapolis

b) Lake Shore Limited Chicago – Cleveland

c) Cardinal Chicago – Cincinnati

d) Texas Eagle Dallas – Little Rock

e) Crescent Atlanta – Charlotte

f) City of New Orleans New Orleans – Memphis

3) These trains should be scheduled at much better times to attract business travelers

4) These trains should skip at least half the small stations along route. (speed is key)

5) All the “special” stations should have Wi-Fi.

6) New Agreements need to be worked out with the Freight RRs to get better cooperation (maybe even pay more money)

7) Cooperate with the Freight RRs to improve the track/signals along the “special” routes.

These trains would only work if the average speeds of these trains can be raised to a minimum of 60 MPH. These “special trains” would be the forerunner of the new high speed service. It would also give Amtrak a “test market” for which high speed train service will be successful and which will not be. It will take years to get high speed service in place. The “special” trains could be a first step to introducing high speed trains to the American Public.

The American Public is not going to abandon flying. However as a small business owner I can tell you that the airlines have really made the public angry. Amtrak needs to focus on short haul trains <600 miles. Amtrak has the possibility to capture this segment of the traveling public; if it has the courage to act.

Thank you for all your comments I think I would like to clear up a few things:
1) I did not know about the Amtrak Express situation. I am sorry about the confusion this created. What I was trying to describe was a series of short-haul trains within the present system. We can call them “specials” instead. These “specials” would serve between two cities within the present system.

2) Here some examples of “specials”:

a) Empire Builder Chicago – Minneapolis

b) Lake Shore Limited Chicago – Cleveland

c) Cardinal Chicago – Cincinnati

d) Texas Eagle Dallas – Little Rock

e) Crescent Atlanta – Charlotte

f) City of New Orleans New Orleans – Memphis

3) These trains should be scheduled at much better times to attract business travelers

4) These trains should skip at least half the small stations along route. (speed is key)

5) All the “special” stations should have Wi-Fi.

6) New Agreements need to be worked out with the Freight RRs to get better cooperation (maybe even pay more money)

7) Cooperate with the Freight RRs to improve the track/signals along the “special” routes.

These trains would only work if the average speeds of these trains can be raised to a minimum of 60 MPH. These “special trains” would be the forerunner of the new high speed service. It would also give Amtrak a “test market” for which high speed train service will be successful and which will not be. It will take years to get high speed service in place. The “special” trains could be a first step to introducing high speed trains to the American Public.

The American Public is not going to abandon flying. However as a small business owner I can tell you that the airlines have really made the public angry. Amtrak needs to focus on short haul trains <600 miles. Amtrak has the possibility to capture this segment of the traveling public; if it has the courage to act.
Amtrak can't even maintain the trains it currently runs comfortably. What you are talking about is a billion dollar concept and it would take 10 years minumum to start initiating.

You make many good points, Tim. And believe me, you're not alone in your thinking, and I believe many of the projects you mention (or similar ones) are being talked about. I'm sure you are aware of the designated high speed rail corridors around the country and since you live in the Chicago area, I'm sure you'll be interested in the ones there, be happy to know that that midwest portion of those projects is probably farther along then any other project except maybe California.

Here's some things that have already happened:

Wisconsin just purchased two high speed Talgo train sets which in the very near future will be put on the Chicago-Milwaukee line and later Madison. One day I'm sure they can serve Minneapolis. If any line is going to get upgraded to 110 mph its going to be the Hiawatha line with the extension to Madison. Next, that I think, has the most momentum is the Chicago-St. Louis line to be upgraded to 110 mph.

You mention express trains which is all great, but there has to be enough frequencies to allow for some trains to be express. Other trains can be local while the express will be skip stop. As more and more frequencies are added I'm sure this will happen.

I don't know if you have seen the efforts of the Midwest High Speed Rail Association, but take a look at their map:

http://midwesthsr.org/images/network/midwe...Jun09_large.gif

Also take a look at their entire website:

http://midwesthsr.org/

We in this forum are always for more discussion, especially from new guys and business owners who like more trains. So come back often!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back