Business Class on the Cardinal for overnight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
Has anyone on here done this? If so, what was it like? Is the car attached to the diner (with the one row of single seats on the right side), or is it a typical coach car that they're designating "Business Class"? Are there any perks that make it worth considering over a sleeper (access to a shower, for instance) or is it basically a free newspaper and soda?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts/experiences--I'm trying to plan a Chicago to DC trip, and I'm debating between a roomette on the Capitol Limited or Business Class on the Cardinal.

It's the 2-1 half-car Business Class (the other half is unstaffed and used as lounge/table space)

A few years ago I spent a good 12+ hour day in 2+1 Business Class on the Lincoln Service/River Runner (same train set) and was extremely comfortable-to the point I realized several hours of sleep would be easy and smooth.

Is it a horizon 2+1 or an amfleet on that train? either way, everyone seems to like the 2+1 bc/cafe, I use the BC on Empire Service a couple of times a year, I'm rarely disappointed.

however, even if you have 2 seats to yourself, you cannot spread yourself out over them like we frequently see in coach because of the large arm rest/divider between them which is immovable. To me it looks kind of like the arm rests on park benches designed to keep bums from sleeping on them overnight.

Lincoln Service and Missouri River Runner trains are a mix of Horizon and Amfleet cars - not sure I've ever seen a good breakdown of roughly how many of each, but generally more Horizons than Amfleets.

Yes, I'm sorry I was referencing the cars on the other trains, not the actual routes. I've actually ridden the TE which of course is a SuperLiner set. But I may do an overnight in Chicago, and head to StL the next day, so I was curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back