BUSINESS CLASS on CAROLINIAN AMTRAK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lay

I'm taking train 79 from philadelphia to richmond in next two weeks..

This is my first time ride AMTRAK train and decide to take business class .

I'm wondering what do I expect on board?

also when i checked the schedule for my return trip from richmond to philadelphia use number 80, they always almost 2 hours behind the schedule..?

what is going on with carolinian northbound??? never do ontime schedule... :(

If you've ever been on a Regional and taken BC it's the same deal. 2 and 2 seating with just a little bit of extra legroom. Free soft drinks and a paper. Not really worth the extra money. It's worth sticking it out in coach for that ride.

As for your return constantly check the train status. 1-800-USA-RAIL. I believe there a way to do it via texting now. But it's not from Amtrak. It's from a privately owned company.

The Carolinian on time performance for the first 8 months of the fiscal year - Oct 2010 to May 2011 - was 67.3%. Not as good as it should be, but it has improved over previous years. I've noticed a lot of delays rcently on the Amtrak trains on the CSX tracks south of Richmond. Might be track work or slow orders on high temperature days.

Found and posted recently on service alerts on the NC DOT rail webpage about schedule changes for the Carolinian, Silver Star, and the Palmetto for some Monday to Thursday dates in August and for the Palmetto in September due to CSX track work.

I just took the Carolinian today in Business Class from DC all the way to Charlotte. We were two hours late, but that was mostly due to a brush fire near the tracks shortly after leaving DC. The complimentary drinks and newspaper are nice, but you still get access to the Cafe Car, restrooms, etc. even if you are in Coach. The only thing I am not sure of is if there are electrical outlets at the seats in Coach. This is helpful if you have a laptop you want to play on (or work on) while you are riding.

It is a few extra bucks for Business Class, but it is not a bad deal. If you are fortunate enough to get a seat to yourself, even better. More leg room, eating room (you can take food from the Cafe Car to your seat) and just space altogether. That is my 2 cents on Business Class on the Carolinian.

Coach also has those outlets. But for that long of a ride it's worth it. But for a short 4-5 hour ride it's not worth it. I go from RTE-PHL which is a 5 and a half hour ride in coach on the NE Regionals. Rarely do I upgrade to BC. I've seen ticketed passengers on the Lynchburger ticketed from BOS to LYH ride coach. Long ride in coach.

Most of us agree that it's not worth the upgrade to BC. Unless it's the 2 and 1 seating. That's the best seating for BC. Keep in mind that it's rare to get a newspaper too.

I thought is 2-1 configuration seat on carolinian...

Or that 2-1 seat on northeast regional BC...

Is that same config. Seat between carolinian and northeast regional BC ??

Is there any extra service onBC ?

I thought is 2-1 configuration seat on carolinian...

Or that 2-1 seat on northeast regional BC...

Is that same config. Seat between carolinian and northeast regional BC ??

Is there any extra service onBC ?
Amtrak's BC is a mess, literally. On the NER, it's almost always now 2-2 seating, with slightly more legroom. Some of the Carolina's equipment is still 2-1, but there is no guarantee. That's it, 'cept for free soda, and a newspaper, if available. However, having stated that, IF the cost-diff is negligible, then I'd consider opting for it, just because there are usually less patrons. And the Carolinian, and the NER's in general, have become pretty crowded in recent months.
BC in other areas of the country, specifically the Cali Surfliners, and the Northwest's Cascades are somewhat better, but in no way what they COULD be, with virtually no increase in cost. (Amtrak would just have to TRAIN/EDUCATE the on-board staff on how to "treat" BC customers, it's so EZ, and costs so little, I'm just shocked, wait, no I'm not, that Amtrak doesn't do it)

Who now uses the 2+1 cafe/biz coaches? Palmetto had 'em but I haven't seen them on there for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back