Business Class Offered Aboard Crescent Trains 19 and 20

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in sum, no one has any idea of the car used for this?

Any idea how many of the split club cars are floating around out there?
Yes, there is an idea of what car is being used and the position in the consist:

I don't believe they are using a split club for this move..

My understanding is a regular Amfleet II coach will be positioned between the sleepers and diner for the business class service. I'm assuming this will result in a reduction of coach capacity as one coach will simply move from the back to the middle. I wonder what people will think boarding a car labeled "coachclass".

Honestly, this sort of "Business Class" doesn't thrill me. Now, if it had 1x2 seating, I'd definitely consider it. As is... I I don't think the beenies would be worth it.

It's the exact type of business class strategy offered on the starlight.

Reducing coach capacity would logically lead to higher fares and more crowding in coach. Higher revenue yield management for Amtrak, but less exciting for travelers in coach. Assuming they do go that route.

I have a day trip in coach in May coming up, so we'll see how it works out.

Given Bruce Becker's informal polling which showed that many people paid for business class solely to be "away from the coach passengers", perhaps Amtrak will standardize on a business class which has no perks except a "business class only" sign and a curtain.
I think you have it right there. Some people, and I can understand this I suppose, don't want to pay for a sleeping car, but also don't want to ride next to the family of 5 going to bring the kids to see grandma, etc and those people don't often go for business class.

It seems strange that Amtrak is offering so little for the long distance "Business Class" fares.

I realize equipment is limited to what they have to work with but blankets and pillows for overnight runs would be pretty obvious to offer.

I'm also surprised they don't "include" dining car meals so they can add those meal costs on to the dining car revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems everything Amtrak does today involves increasing revenue WITHOUT increasing costs, whether or not a slight increase in costs/benefits might allow them to increase revenue even more.

I can imagine someone at mid-level management who initially suggested the new Long-Distance BC idea pulling their hair out over the subject of no actual improvement of service being used to justify the new class; ie: very inexpensive and no-brainer things like putting in 2x1 seating and a few amenities like complementary blankets and pillows.

Upper level management takes the suggested idea of making business class, but removes everything associated with it except the new "class" and an up-charged fare when implementing it.

Given Bruce Becker's informal polling which showed that many people paid for business class solely to be "away from the coach passengers", perhaps Amtrak will standardize on a business class which has no perks except a "business class only" sign and a curtain.
I think you have it right there. Some people, and I can understand this I suppose, don't want to pay for a sleeping car, but also don't want to ride next to the family of 5 going to bring the kids to see grandma, etc and those people don't often go for business class.
Bingo. That's the mentality.
Thinking about the people who will spring for it, I wouldn't be surprised if business class ends up with enforced "quiet car" policies.

Doesn't happen on the Regionals, I doubt we'll see it on the LD trains too.

The whole "BC isn't for families" always amuses me, since most of the time I'm on a regional it's with my family, in BC, on the way to/from DC as part of a LD journey. There may be less kids in there, but we're scarcely alone, so ifs not the kid free zone some make it out to be.

What type of passenger car does the Cardinal use for its business class service? Will it be the same for the Crescent as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back