Bush's Speech

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot1181

Lead Service Attendant
The President's speech tonight at 8pm will origionate from the rotunda of the beautiful Cincinnati Union Terminal. I don't know how much we will be able to see. The 5pm news showed the setting up of the seating for 1000 in the main area of the rotunda. The terminal is now used for the Museum of Natural History, the Cincinnati Historical Musrum, an Imax Theater, and a small area for Amtrak. It's still a unique and beatiful building.

Cincinnati Union Terminal is a "must see" for all rail enthusiats. I now live in Central Florida but grew up and spent my first 24 years in Cincinnati. I was only 10 years old when Amtrak first started operating and at that time they used a small station along the riverfront. They weren't using the old Union Terminal for anything back then. What a shame it was to see such an important architectural building sitting vacant.

Alot has changed since the early 70's and now like you mentioned the museums and other attractions once again bring life to the terminal. It is so nice to see that passenger train service is again being used out of this terminal.

I urge anyone in the area of Cincinnati to pay a visit to the Union Terminal and see for themselves the magnificance of this structure.

If you give this link some time to load you will see a great picture of Cincinnati's Union Terminal. http://www.k8dti.com/cincy/

Have a great night everyone

Too bad there was not a train calling there while the nation was focused on the building. Alas, the Cardinal does not serve Cincinnati on a Monday in either direction, and it calls around midnight westbound and about 5:30 AM eastbound.

Is this the terminal with the hotel (Holiday Inn) inside in which some of the rooms are in old rail cars, or am I thinking of Indianapolis?

:lol: I use to come through Cincinnati Union Terminal as a kid....I used to live in Cincinnat when I was a baby, but we moved to Boston...so i used to come back in the summer and visit my grandmother....We used to ride in on NYC's "Ohio State Lomited"....

The L&N (Louisvile & Nasville), B&O, C&O, Pennsylvania Railroad & N&W to name a few of the famous old railroad companies, also had name trains which had Cincinnati as it's terminus. What a beautiful and busy place Union Terminal was during the heydyay of passenger train travel.

Amtrak Watcher---I do not know if Indianapolis has a Holiday Inn, also with railcars people can sleep it. But I know for a fact thatChattanooga, TN, has "The Chattanooga Choo Choo" which I have visited many times. It is a holiday inn with both regular hotel rooms and also railroad car rooms.Whether they also have this in Indianapolis, I do not know.

I don;t think Bush/Cheney 2000 used a train during the campaign. I do remember them using a Boeing 757 and a bus but I don't remember a train.

I believe it was gore that used the train,called the democratic express or democrats seeing america...or something like that.I dont think he hates amtrak I just think he is trying to get them to get more fiscally responsible,it looks like amtrak is getting more help now though now that gunn is showing hope,im looking forward to returning to nyc and were even heading to washington d.c this year on the same journey,hopefully on the acela from nyc to washington,I really want to roll on that baby,so does my girlfriend.she loved the trip and loved the train alot.

well see you later,bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back