Buffalo (Depew) Station Info Needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
My son just booked a trip to Toronto on short notice. To keep the cost down he is flying from BWI to Buffalo on Southwest and then taking Amtrak from Buffalo to Toronto. The best price he could get on a flight directly to Toronto this Frday was about $1000+ roundtrip. Flying Southwest and then taking the train will be a little less than $400 roundtrip.

He asked me about transportation from the Buffalo Airport to the train station and back. I told him I don't know myself but do know a place where others might be able to provide some insight. That where you come in!

Is there a shuttle between the airport and train station? Or is there taxi service available? Is there anything else he should be aware of traveling from Buffalo to Toronto and back (other than having his passport etc.)?

Thank you!

There are plenty of taxis at the airport, and the Depew station is less than 3 miles from the airport, so a taxi ride shouldn't be too expensive. I don't believe there's a dedicated shuttle. Coming back, there might be taxis waiting to meet the train at the station (I've seen this at the Buffalo-Exchange St station) but I don't know for certain.

Be aware that Buffalo Airport Taxi has an exclusive contract with the airport and they are the only taxi operator actually allowed to enter the airport grounds and pull up in front of the terminal doors (for "security reasons"). So he should bear that in mind if he gets a ride with a different taxi company - he'll have to walk a ways to get into the airport terminal!

It's a nice ride from Buffalo to Toronto; I did it myself in April. He might want to consider booking business class - this is only about $4 extra each way, and gets you a very comfy seat in a quiet car and free pop on the US side of the border. Bring a book or laptop because there's a 1.5 hour wait at the border while customs processes the train.

Also, if he has a bit of time to kill between his flight arrival and train departure, he might consider taking a taxi or bus to downtown Buffalo. There are many very beautiful and historic buildings if he's at all interested in architecture, and great restaurants for lunch. There's a walking tour of downtown at 10am and of City Hall at 12pm. Then he could just catch the train from the downtown station on Exchange St. I can give you more info if he's interested.

I should add to the first paragraph that he should get the phone number of the taxi company so if they aren't waiting at the train station when he arrives he can call them.

I should add to the first paragraph that he should get the phone number of the taxi company so if they aren't waiting at the train station when he arrives he can call them.
Good tip about the exchange street station,however when I was there the agent closed for lunch but he let

me leave my luggage inside and was very helpful with tips on what to see/where to eat/how to get there!

I understand there have been major delays @ the border on/off, usually the Canadian folks are friendly

and efficient, the Americans less so let us say!If its a clear day the view from the top of City Hall is great!

(Weel, I didnt forget the wings and beef sandwiches but will let a local advise on that!The bus service from

Depew to downtown was quick/cheap and easy but have never been to the airport here? :)

The Buffalo-Depew station is pretty close to the airport, a few miles at most. There should be taxis there. There are also Niagara Frontier Transit Authority, city buses serving the area, not sure if they connect betwee the station and the airport. They do connect the station with downtown Buffalo.

Nothing special comes to mind with travel to Toronto except that we have had a garbage strike for the past five weeks so it's a little messier here than we'd like. The strike also means no ferry service to the Toronto Islands. Ratification of the new contract is expected in the next day or so. Hopefully things will begin to get cleaned up next week after the Monday, civic holiday. This weekend is also the main part of the hugely popular, Caribana festival. The Maple Leaf should be pretty busy.

Gord

After doing some searching, the fastest way to get to Depew is probably a taxi.

There is a convoluted way to take the bus between the two points, but it looks like it involves some walking and a transfer. The travel times are horrible to go 3 miles.

The best bus route would be to take the bus downtown to take the train from the Amtrak station on Exchange Street. The distance to downtown is longer, but the travel times are shorter and more frequent. (and it's about $2.05 each way).

Niagara Frontier Transportation Service - Airport Service

There are plenty of taxis at the airport, and the Depew station is less than 3 miles from the airport, so a taxi ride shouldn't be too expensive. I don't believe there's a dedicated shuttle. Coming back, there might be taxis waiting to meet the train at the station (I've seen this at the Buffalo-Exchange St station) but I don't know for certain.
Be aware that Buffalo Airport Taxi has an exclusive contract with the airport and they are the only taxi operator actually allowed to enter the airport grounds and pull up in front of the terminal doors (for "security reasons"). So he should bear that in mind if he gets a ride with a different taxi company - he'll have to walk a ways to get into the airport terminal!

It's a nice ride from Buffalo to Toronto; I did it myself in April. He might want to consider booking business class - this is only about $4 extra each way, and gets you a very comfy seat in a quiet car and free pop on the US side of the border. Bring a book or laptop because there's a 1.5 hour wait at the border while customs processes the train.

Also, if he has a bit of time to kill between his flight arrival and train departure, he might consider taking a taxi or bus to downtown Buffalo. There are many very beautiful and historic buildings if he's at all interested in architecture, and great restaurants for lunch. There's a walking tour of downtown at 10am and of City Hall at 12pm. Then he could just catch the train from the downtown station on Exchange St. I can give you more info if he's interested.

I've been wondering what to do also: we'll have to catch the 23.59 pm LSL to CHI out of Depew on Monday Sept. 21. As I see it we have two options coming from Niagara Falls that day: Taking the 6.30 pm Greyhound to Buffalo city center, find a nice restaurant and take a taxi to Depew later that evening (I don't see any bus connections in the evenings).

Or take the 7.00 pm Metro-bus from the Falls to Buffalo Airport, have dinner and a few drinks at the airport (Lake Erie Pub?) and take a cab to Depew station by the time we have to be there.

As, of course, we're totally unfamiliar with the local situation, all suggestions are very welcome!

Ruud

I've been wondering what to do also: we'll have to catch the 23.59 pm LSL to CHI out of Depew on Monday Sept. 21. As I see it we have two options coming from Niagara Falls that day: Taking the 6.30 pm Greyhound to Buffalo city center, find a nice restaurant and take a taxi to Depew later that evening (I don't see any bus connections in the evenings).
The trouble with this is that the Greyhound arrives in the evening after the central business district pretty closes up for the day and it'd be a bit of a hike to any restaurant open for dinner. Not that downtown Buffalo is particularly unsafe, but I'm hesitant to suggest out-of-towners to walk around at night there. You could certainly take a taxi from the bus terminal to a more lively part of town and then another taxi to Depew station, though. I wouldn't recommend the bus, on your schedule (it's a long trip) and at that hour of the day.

Ruud, I sent you a private message with some other ideas. Let me know what you think!

If your son likes to walk and he doesn't have a lot of luggage it is an easy walk from the Airport to the Depew Station.a little less than 3 miles. I did that when I took the train from Buffalo and flew back to the airport. It is $15 for a taxi ride between the airport and the train station,quite steep for a ride of that short duration. My car was parked at the train station,which offers free parking.

I'll be detraining in Buffalo-Depew on the 12th at 8:30am, and heading up to the airport to rent a car for a few days. Resigned to taking a taxi.

When we're done with our Buffalo visit, Best Western at the airport, where we're staying the last night, states they can shuttle to the Amtrak station. We shall see if that promise holds up...

Hi.... My friends and myself are travelling to Niagara this weekend. We are going through Bufallo. Can you let us know what are the places we can visit in Bufallo. And is one day enough in Niagara?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back