Bringing beer on a long trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZoneTRN

Have my on room on an upcoming day trip, and I was thinking about bringing a couple beers in a collapsible insulated bag/cooler on board. Having said that, I'm boarding in the morning, and while I like the day drink occasionally, the plan was to have the beers in the afternoon/evening. If I do that, would they provide me with some ice on occasion throughout the day to keep them cool?

Usually, your Sleeping Car Attendant will bring you a bucket of ice.
I regularly get ice. I bring a portable cooler and get a bucket and get it filled once a day.

With that being said, some SCA's are more gracious about it than others.

I miss the days of self service ice in the car. I know it ran afoul of FDA regs, but it was really handy.

Never have trouble getting ice on my LD trips. Always get a bucket if i ask. I haven't been on Silver trains since last Sept but ice is readily available to all in sleepers on those trains.

Assuming you keep the cooler closed (except when you're putting ice in it), that should be plenty.

Some SCAs are especially nice. When I asked for ice on the CZ last year to fill my bag to chill my sprained thumb, he came by every few hours to see if I needed a refill.

On the first trip when I noticed the community ice cooler had disappeared, I asked the attendant, who uoted the FDA party line. Then he showed me the ice chest in his roomette, and said I could have all I needed, but he had to dispense it <wink, wink, nod, nod>. I had a 4 beer cooler (which is labeled "HUMAN ORGANS" - see Amazon), which he cheerfully filled.

In all my years, I have only run into one bad SCA, Pat, on the Crescent. I understand she was run off because of all the complaints. IMHO, they all rock!
-- Doc

Have my on room on an upcoming day trip, and I was thinking about bringing a couple beers in a collapsible insulated bag/cooler on board. <SNIP>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back