Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice-looking shell. I wish it was fluted (I don't think I'm alone), but it looks nice and I'm glad to see the windows look decent-sized. I will say, due to exposure bias, my immediate thought was "looks Acela-ish".

It will be interesting to see how long it takes this order to be completed. I bet Brightline gets its entire order before CAF can finish hte Amtrak Viewliner order.

The first tranche is 20 or 25 cars plus ten AAF Chargers. They will be kept as Semi-married sets of four or five cars and two locos each.

So it really shouldn't take that long. AAF probably needs something by year end to start testing and familiarization. Siemens maintenance crew at West Palm Beach also need to get trained. The maintenance facility at WPB is supposed be commissioned this August.

Will all the double-tracking and station construction fall into place on time? Seems ambitious.

In 2 years or so, Brightline will be speeding passengers from Miami to Orlando International and reverse. Seems very efficient considering the various negative encounters they have been subject. I and others in Florida look forward to our first ride on a truly modern rail passenger system.

In terms of amenities and ambiance, though not in maximum speed, it promises to give the Acela service run for its money, possibly at a somewhat lower price point. The latter has to do with what the market will bear in Florida.

Joe McHugh spoke with VRPI this past week. There's a lot he said, but one thing of interest was that apparently FEC/AAF/Brightline is still interested in running a Meteor section along their tracks. I think he said they were pretty well set with funding (they'd do it internally if all else failed).
what are platform lengths like? Would it even be possible to handle such a train without doing lots of modifications?

Joe McHugh spoke with VRPI this past week. There's a lot he said, but one thing of interest was that apparently FEC/AAF/Brightline is still interested in running a Meteor section along their tracks.
That's nice. Once FEC/AAF/Brightline is up and running, Miami-Orlando business on Amtrak will evaporate. Amtrak needs to think carefully about the Florida market situation at that point. Perhaps the Meteor should have a section on FEC and a section to Orlando (serviced at Sanford), with no section taking the current route to Miami, for example. The Silver Star could continue to serve the inland route until AAF builds a Tampa extension, at which point more thought would need to be put into reconfiguring the network.

Joe McHugh spoke with VRPI this past week. There's a lot he said, but one thing of interest was that apparently FEC/AAF/Brightline is still interested in running a Meteor section along their tracks.
That's nice. Once FEC/AAF/Brightline is up and running, Miami-Orlando business on Amtrak will evaporate. Amtrak needs to think carefully about the Florida market situation at that point. Perhaps the Meteor should have a section on FEC and a section to Orlando (serviced at Sanford), with no section taking the current route to Miami, for example. The Silver Star could continue to serve the inland route until AAF builds a Tampa extension, at which point more thought would need to be put into reconfiguring the network.
At that point I think the best option would be to return to the "old" splits, with an Orlando-Tampa section which terminates in Tampa (Orlando-Tampa traffic wouldn't be great, but Elsewhere-Tampa traffic would still be a thing) and add service to the OIA station (yes, it would involve a backup move...but I think you'd add significant traffic, especially as there's actually parking at OIA).

It would also involve Amtrak funding the construction of an additional platform at OIA. Nothing comes for free. ;) The primary platform reachable from the Sandlake Road side or the Poinciana side will be a SunRail platform. I would love to see a cost justification for bringing one Amtrak train per day to OIA when that connection can be provided for nothing by SunRail. And no AAF will not allow its platform to be used for anything else at OIA. I have asked that question.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAF's will be the first diesel powered Viaggio (Comfort America).
First anythings make me very nervous.

And, point of order, there is no such thing as OIA. The official ICAO code for Orlando International Airport is MCO. Though I will concede that OIA will pull up Orlando International Airport on search engines...

That's nice. Once FEC/AAF/Brightline is up and running, Miami-Orlando business on Amtrak will evaporate.
Nah. Don't think so. Amtrak will continue to be the low cost, single seat option for trips beyond Orlando. I really think Brightline will be an all new market. Like, say, from the Florida Fun Train! :D

On a more sentimental note, I must say how deeply bummed I am that I didn't have the passion I have today for trains in my younger adult life.

I lived in Kissimmee during the time of the FFT and even went to Miami - by car - during that time.

I got to see the Denver Ski Train, but unfortunately never got to ride it.

In college, Amtrak came right through Longview, yet I took a dumb Greyhoud to Dallas (in the scary(-ier?) years.

I've been lucky to ride Mexico's passenger rail service from Zacatecas overnight to Nuevo Laredo the year before it was abandoned.

Been on the Georgetown Loop before it was abandoned, but it came back. Same with the Texas State Railroad between Palestine and Rusk.

Been ALMOST coast to coast on Amtrak with that nagging section between Dallas and Albuquerque (yes, I know they don't connect) eluding me.

OK. Don't mean to hijack this thread. Sentimental Journey over...

Looks like we won't be hearing "Mind the gap" or "Watch the gap" for Brightline.

The folks in Martin County are spending $850,000.00 more on fighting Brightline. Somebody's making a lot of money on this fight, don't you think?

Meanwhile the emergency workers in Martin County haven't had a raise in years and are leaving for other places. Someone in Martin County government really does not care much to serve his or her constituents' basic needs much.

The problem with terminating a Silver Service train in Tampa is that there's no servicing location there; this means Amtrak cannot terminate a train there. It really would have been better if the Tampa-Orlando Florida HSR project had been built.

The problem with terminating a Silver Service train in Tampa is that there's no servicing location there; this means Amtrak cannot terminate a train there. It really would have been better if the Tampa-Orlando Florida HSR project had been built.
What did Amtrak do in the past when there were separate Miami and Tampa sections of various Silver Service trains? Was there once some sort of servicing facility?

From Florida Today:

MELBOURNE — City leaders hope the future Brightline express trains operated by All Aboard Florida will pick up and drop off passengers at a station located downtown, in South Melbourne or adjacent to Orlando Melbourne International Airport.

Tuesday night, the Melbourne City Council unanimously targeted a trio of potential station sites for All Aboard Florida — or a future commuter rail service.
See more at: http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2016/02/24/melbourne-leaders-eye-all-aboard-florida-station-sites/80549998/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back