Brightline Railcars Any Reason They Can't Be Used By Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theoretically Brightline could remove the two middle cars (the end cars have no passageways) and add a car to two trainsets or two cars to one trainset. This would leave them with three trainsets and a spare (which is enough with an hour end to end run time and a 30 min turnaround at each end point). Of course, they would have to change the exterior decal and interior markings from Bright Blue to Bright Pink (or whatever). I doubt they would want to do this unless there is considerably more demand at rush hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have additional cars (including food service car) on order for each set and additional sets for extension of service to Orlando and expansion on capacity and enhancement of service in Phase II.

Phase III, though not called that yet, appears to be adding one or more station in the big gap between West Palm Beach and Orlando.

The train form with two locomotives sandwiching a fixe set is based on British Rail's HST. Okay, there are or were earlier examples than that, including Britain-s Blue Pullman, Germany's TEE and others. But I think there is no denying that the British HST went a long way to making this type of train popular and succesful.

As ordered, the BR versions came with both 7 and 8 passenger cars, depending on the route. Furthermore, initially there was both a buffet car and a full restaurant, at least on the versions earmarked for longer trips. Full restaurants were phased out a few years later, replaced by meals served at your seat in the first class on longer trips. Over the years cars have been rebuilt and repurposed and indeed cars have been rebuilt from the general fleet to strengthen the HSTs. with many sets being one or even two cars longer than initially delivered. On the other hand parcels are no longer carried, so the sets today are quite different in many respects to the configuration as first designed. Not to mention they have also been re-engined.

BR and its privatized succesors were fortunate in that there were plenty of Mk3s available on other services that could be rebuilt for HST use (basically buffers removed and rewired for diferent voltage). I hope Brightline has some sort of arrangement with Siemens to be able to add further cars in the longer term future without being charged some extortionate price,as happened to Amtrak when they tried to strengthen the Acela sets.

Yes. Brightline has a deal with Siemens to both add cars to the current consists and add new consists to their fleet.

Since these are not one of a kind special order but are off the shelf products with minor customization for a customer there would be no justification for the scenario that unfolded with Acelas, even if it was just an additional order within the next several years. Of course if it is an order for something 20 years hence, it would probably be crazy not to go for a more current generation of technology by then.

Yes. Brightline has a deal with Siemens to both add cars to the current consists and add new consists to their fleet.

Since these are not one of a kind special order but are off the shelf products with minor customization for a customer there would be no justification for the scenario that unfolded with Acelas, even if it was just an additional order within the next several years. Of course if it is an order for something 20 years hence, it would probably be crazy not to go for a more current generation of technology by then.
They are running the trains currently with two engines. Does Siemens not have a control car for the Brightline railcars?

They are running the trains currently with two engines. Does Siemens not have a control car for the Brightline railcars?
The Railjet has a control car. But it appears that Brightline did not pursue that option. Maybe the design wasn't FRA compiiant?

piko-h0-57670-h0-steuerwagen-railjet-der-oebb.jpg

And also a more reliable solution since there is now no single point of failure for the prime movers powering the train. ;)
That is what I was thinking as well but hit submit before writing it on the above post. The biggest sched failure for Metrolink and Amtrak in California has been the engines breaking down. I just love getting a tweet or a text message. Train so and so has been cancelled due to mechanical issue with the engine. In Amtrak's case they have spare engines located in SD and LA but my train has always broken down somewhere between the location of the spares.

I thought Amtrak was only using stainless steel cars, from the beginning they eliminated a bunch of fine equipment because it wasn't stainless steel. I don't think the brightline cars are stainless steel so I doubt Amtrak would take them, though IDK what their policy on state supported services is.
I'm pretty sure there isn't any rules on stainless or not, as the turbo trains and talgos exemplify.
Those are state supported though, so I'm betting Amtrak doesn't care as much
Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I have been told by one of the Brightline representatives that the Brightline Cars are Stainless Steel with the livery applied as decal wraps. But what would they know. ;)

We have also heard from Amtrak that they are taking a serious look at the Brightline cars and they have seen no problem with the material used for their construction. The same Amtrak gentleman from a relatively high position within Amtrak also said that if and when Amtrak finds the money to purchase new cars, it is quite likely that Siemens will be a contender among several others.

But remember, there are several very credible passenger car producers in the world, and as long as Amtrak and FRA stop being anal about their car specifications, probably most of them would bid. So who will be selected is almost impossible to guess. One would of course hope that a dud contract like the one with CAF or Nippon Sharyo is not repeated.

The Brightline cars would be perfectly good single-level coaches, and probably cafes. Amtrak needs a lot of coaches.

I don't think anyone knows how to modify them to be dining cars or sleepers. Hopefully the CAF order can get straightened out and extended.

The Brightline cars would be perfectly good single-level coaches, and probably cafes. Amtrak needs a lot of coaches.

I don't think anyone knows how to modify them to be dining cars or sleepers. Hopefully the CAF order can get straightened out and extended.
I suspect Brightline and Siemens know how to build Cafes in that shell since Brightline has ordered on per set that will be used for the full service to Orlando.

I suspect Brightline and Siemens know how to build Cafes in that shell since Brightline has ordered on per set that will be used for the full service to Orlando.
Seeing Railjet has a cafetria car, (although albeit the concept is somewhat different to Amtrak's), I don't see a problem here.

I believe Siemens has supplied/is supplying Russian Railways (RZD) with a sleeping car based on the Viaggio Classic.

I believe Siemens has supplied/is supplying Russian Railways (RZD) with a sleeping car based on the Viaggio Classic.
That is true too.

Frankly, furnishing the interior for Sleeping accommodation should not be any problem at all. Car builders have been able to do that in myriads of car bodies over the last 100 and more years.

Back