Brainstorming with points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eris

Lead Service Attendant
Is there any way I can do this?

I have three people (two are kids, though one pays adult fare on Amtrak now, at age 13) traveling, each of us has an AGR account, and I've got an AGR MC.

Each of the kids has 544 points.

I've got 10,963 points, and have already bought 10,000 (actually 13,000- 30% bonus) points this year. I just booked a 25,000 point Family Bedroom redemption, Los Angeles area to Washington State on the Coast Starlight in May. I've got 2300 points coming in soon, from an Hhonors transfer and the AGR MC (assuming that the $275 for buying points gets 550 points, not 275? Doesn't really matter)- so I'll be around 13300

What I want here is to get a family bedroom for the trip home... otherwise we're going coach. I can't buy any more points on my AGR account- is my best/only bet here to buy another 13000 points on one of the kids' accounts and transfer 12000 of them, for $120, for a total outlay of nearly all my existing points (I guess I'd have 1550 left, after agr/mc rebate of 1250) + $395, leaving 1500 points in one of the kids' accounts?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

First off, the points you bought (and this is anyone) are not bought directly from AGR or Amtrak, but from Points.com - a third party. Thus, you only receive 1 point/$. :( So you'll only get 275 points.

Why not buy points for each of the kids accounts, and if necessary then transfer some from your account and some from kid #2 to the account of kid #1? :huh: Then you can redeem from kid #1's account. It doesn't matter where the points are redeemed from.

Also be aware that although the Family Room has 4 berths, 2 are less than 5 feet long!

Oh, yes, I see that now on the credit card- points.com, 275 points. No matter. I'm not sure if I was clear, but my 10963 balance is after that bedroom redemption- I only needed a few thousand to get the redemption, but maxed out the points purchase to do it.

I'm not sure how buying points for each kid account and transferring between them helps? I could buy 25000 worth of points, for $550 total plus $120 in transfer fee, but that doesn't really make a difference for my immediate situation, does it? It adds $275 to my out of pocket, so the only benefit is maxing the current 30% bonus for future travel (which isn't something I can actually afford to do). Also, curious, if I use the kids AGR, will I still get the 5% points rebate for having the MasterCard?

I know about the Family Bedroom- it's been a long time since we rode in one, but I think we still fit. As I recall, the lower bunks butt up to each other in an L, making a curled/diagonal position possible. Heck, just a year and a half ago the three of us managed in a roomette (kids head-to-foot on the bottom bunk). Remember... our alternative is not generally two roomettes or two bedrooms (!), but coach! We're not big people (the kids are 5'0" and 4'7", and while I'm not the 5'5" beanpole I used to be I still don't take up *that* much room); the family bedroom will be luxurious. It's a good warning, though.

I appreciate you taking time to consider my options!

You don't have to purchase the maximum for each of your children...purchase what is in your budget and will allow you (via transferring points) to do the bedroom redemption with your child's points.

Take a look at the dollar cost of the bedroom ticket vs the cost of purchasing points and points transfer fees. A 10,000 points purchase (disregarding the 30% bonus) cost $275 or $.0275 per point. A 25,000 point redemption "cost" $687.50. I just did a "what if" and the Family Bedroom SEA to LAX on Wednesday May 27 will cost $1117.50 a difference of $430! Now, a 30% bonus will reduce the per point cost on a purchase and transfer fees will increase the point cost but, you get the idea. I now purchase and earn points (via AGR Mastercard and the shopping mall) as a way to buy train travel in the future.

AFAIK The Chase AGR program will provide the 5% points purchase rebate only for redemption of points for a ticket in your name. Being named on someone else's ticket will not generate the rebate for you.

Back