Boy, am I glad I went last week!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R Johnson

Train Attendant
My trip to Staunton, VA on the 6th was great. I got there a little late, but I was expecting it.

I got in four days of great day hiking on or near the Appalachain Trail. (thanks to all for the responses about taking my walking staff along)

The return train, #51 was about 15 minutes late arriving at Staunton, but that was still better than #50 which, at that point, was over three hours late. On the trip down on #50, we had to pull to a siding twice between Clifton Forge and Staunton to allow freights to pass in the opposite direction. Homeward bound on #51 the only time we had to get off on a siding was at, I think, Goshen, and that was to let 50 go by. I arrived home at Connersville about an hour late. Once again, it's pretty much what I expected.

That was last week.

Today I see that 50 has experienced a service disruption somewhere between South Portsmouth, and Ashland, KY. Having the train part of the trip end before it was even half-way would have to put a damper on any enthusiasim for train travel. Like the heading says, I am sure glad I went last week.

I also would like to thank all those who have posted about taking along things I never would have thought of by myself. Most notably, a scanner and a GPS. Both made the trip more enjoyable.

Glad you had a good trip. I will be on the Cardinal next Sunday from NYP to IND.

I enjoy this route. The train is sold out - in coach and sleeper.

The train is sold out - in coach and sleeper.
Aloha

A early job in my working life was in a supermarket. The Manager would always say to be sure there never a time the shelf is empty because then we knew we had sold all we could of the product. Amtrak would be best if it had a supply of cars that accomplished the same. It is a sure thing if someone tries to book a sold out train they may use the alternative again.

Yeah, you never know when a train or route may have a problem.

We haven't ridden a ton yet, but have had minimal issues with the trains-not very late, no cancellations!

I'm glad you had a good ride. I hope all your future trips turn out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back