Boston South Station - Bus to train Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I recall, a while ago AmtrakMaineiac mentioned in a post that the usual way of traversing between the South Station bus terminal and the South Station train terminal would no longer be available due to the construction at South Station. My impression is that the change was permanent and not just temporary. Has this change already taken place?

I assume that the new method of going from the bus station to the train station would be to exit the bus station onto Atlantic Avenue and then walk up Atlantic Avenue in the direction of Summer Street. I assume that there is an entrance to the South Station train station on Atlantic Avenue and that you would not have to go all the way to the front of the train station. Would this be correct? Thanks.

As of a week ago when I last used South Station you could still get to platform 1 and therefore the bus station in spite of the construction. My understanding is that the construction is to add turnstiles so that a ticket would have to be scanned (Amtrak or MBTA) to access the platform which would preclude access by those wishing to access the bus terminal via platform 1. I haven't tried getting to the bus terminal any other way do I don't know how one would access it from the street or coming from the Red Line without going through the station.

As of a week ago when I last used South Station you could still get to platform 1 and therefore the bus station in spite of the construction. My understanding is that the construction is to add turnstiles so that a ticket would have to be scanned (Amtrak or MBTA) to access the platform which would preclude access by those wishing to access the bus terminal via platform 1. I haven't tried getting to the bus terminal any other way do I don't know how one would access it from the street or coming from the Red Line without going through the station.
Thanks very much. I will check it out in person in a couple fo weeks and report back.

I am pleased to report that as of May 4th, the usual route for passengers to walk from the South Station bus terminal to the South Station train terminal and vice versa is still open.

I hope that someone will keep us updated on any proposed changes to this route.

Back