Boston or DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65Imperial

Train Attendant
After a great trip on The Southwest Chief this past summer I want to take another trip. :D Originally its was going to be New Orleans but now that will have to wait. :( So I'm thinking of either Boston or DC. On Amtrack'site it looks like The is a train switch in New York and I'm not keen on that. I also just read that they will be cutting food service back on the LSL. Please all those who have done both point me in the right direction. Also I'm looking at a trip from New York to Miami. Any thoughts???? :rolleyes:

Personally, If I had the money and the time; I'd do both. I would book the Capitol Limited to D.C.; do a little sightseeing and then take the Regional or Acela Express to Boston and after some more sightseeing, go back to Chicago on the LSL.

But, that's just me! :)

romeo0704 said:
Personally, If I had the money and the time; I'd do both.  I would book the Capitol Limited to D.C.; do a little sightseeing and then take the Regional or Acela Express to Boston and after some more sightseeing, go back to Chicago on the LSL.
But, that's just me!   :)
Aloha

If I Had time and mony I dould do both also but I've got this small amount water in the way...I Want to ride TRAINS!!!

Another alternative would be to take The Cardinal from Chicago to DC, then return to Chicago on the Capitol Limited.......or reverse it.

rile42 said:
Another alternative would be to take The Cardinal from Chicago to DC, then return to Chicago on the Capitol Limited.......or reverse it.
If you decide to take the Cardinal as rile42 mentioned, be sure to take it from Chicago to DC. If you go west on the Cardinal, you will miss the best scenery that Amtrak offers east of the Mississippi, since you'll hit the New River Gorge after dark.

So remember Cardinal going east only.

Keep in mind the difference in equipment also. The Capitol Limited has the double deck "superliner" equipment; the Cardinal is single level.

That, in itself makes it important to sample both, like go east on the Cardinal (for the scenery) and west on the Capitol.

As much as I love Boston and Massachusetts, I do have to say that DC is probably better for touristy type stuff. All the Smithsonian Museums are there, the Monuments, Government Buildings, Holocaust Museum, it really is an educational town. Sports are never in short supply either with the Nationals, Wizards, Capitals, and Redskins, one of them is always in season.

Back