boston-new york train questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am planning a family trip to boston and new york in early april and using the train to travel between those cities. are the unreserved coach trains very crowded - is it difficult for a party of 3 to find seats on that route or would it better to buy a reserved coach ticket?

also, do those trains make any stops between the cities or do they go straight through?

would appreciate any information since this i have never ridden trains on this route before. thank you.

Unreserved trains can be crowded, but, since you will be boarding at large stations the train should be pretty empty when you board. The train does make stops en route including Back Bay, Rte. 128, Providence, New London, New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, New Rochelle, and New York.

The following stations are all stops for Regional trains between Boston and New York, however, it varies from train to train on which stops are made. Unreserved Regionals usually make all stops.

Back Bay, MA

Route 128, MA

Providence, RI

Kingston, RI

Westerly, RI

Mystic, CT

New London, CT

Old Saybrook, CT

New Haven, CT

Bridgeport, CT

Stamford, CT

New Rochelle, NY

As for tips on getting good seats. Always head towards the front of the train (towards the locomotive) as you're more likely to find seats in those cars than you are towards the rear.

A lot also depends upon day and time. Friday and Sunday afternoons are peak times while Saturday afternoon is among the least crowded times. The odds are that you will get seats, and even seats together, but standing room only trains do happen in the NEC so anything is possible. I have seen packed trains right out of the gate at Penn Station New York.

If financially feasible, you might want to consider either a reserved Business Class seat on a Regional train or even the Acela which is all reserved. Each of these will guarantee you a seat.

Here are some rough fare comparisons: one way Boston to New York

Unreserved Regional Coach: $64 to $76 (save 10% with AAA)

Regional Business Class Reserved: add $22 to the Regional Coach fare ($86 to $98)

Acela: $85 to $99

There are a handful of Regional trains that have all seats reserved including coach. Reserving on these trains will also guarantee you a seat.

There is no price difference between reserved Regional coach and unreserved Regional coach. Your selection will depend upon a number of factors, no the least of which is your personal schedule. If you're flexible with travel times but budget-conscientious, choose reserved Regional coach for the best combination of guaranteed seating and lowest possible price.

thanks for all your helpful information and advice. i am really looking forward to this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back