Boston hotel suggestions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stayed at the Doubletree many times over the years. It has an Orange Line stop right outside the door, and has complimentary access to the adjacent YMCA. That last part is important because my kids expect to have a pool and city-hotels tend to not have pools.... unless they are expensive.

I think I paid $120-130 or so, and one time I was given a breakfast voucher, which was nice. Always given free cookies though.

The Park Plaza was just renovated, and that is not a bad rate at all for Boston.

That said, The Park Plaza is much closer to Back Bay Station than South Station.

The Loews Boston, also closer to Back Bay, is a great hotel as well.

A new hotel, The Godfrey is located about a 10 minute walk from South Station on Washington Street, the

hotel has taken off as an "it" place to stay, but on a weekday in January you would have a good chance at a decent rate.

The Hilton Financial Center is also close to South Station, and the rooms are spacious.

Ken

I looked at Priceline for Jan 16th and was able to find a great rate at the Hyatt Regency in the theater district. This is always my preferred hotel when I have to stay in Boston before a trip. It's a short walk to South Station, where you can get the red line, or a short walk to Downtown Crossing which is a big shopping area, where you can also access the red and orange line. It's in a great location in other words.

I have seen this place go for up to $500 for a basic room, and they're asking $169, but using Priceline Express you can get it for $95/tax, though it's prepaid and can not be cancelled.

You'd want to look for a 4 star in the Boston Common-Theater District, and that's either the Hyatt or Omni Parker House, but I can tell you it's the Hyatt that day.

I looked at Priceline for Jan 16th and was able to find a great rate at the Hyatt Regency in the theater district. This is always my preferred hotel when I have to stay in Boston before a trip. It's a short walk to South Station, where you can get the red line, or a short walk to Downtown Crossing which is a big shopping area, where you can also access the red and orange line. It's in a great location in other words.

I have seen this place go for up to $500 for a basic room, and they're asking $169, but using Priceline Express you can get it for $95/tax, though it's prepaid and can not be cancelled.

You'd want to look for a 4 star in the Boston Common-Theater District, and that's either the Hyatt or Omni Parker House, but I can tell you it's the Hyatt that day.
Just an after thought, they are quite generous with upgrades if you are willing to pay. Several times I've wanted even more space and have upgraded to a nice junior suite for an additional $20 at check-in.

1479165923909.jpg

You might try Club Quarters, where we have reserved (for a weeknight in January) at a price of $139. (+ Masstax). I've used this hotel before: the rooms are compact, but perfectly fine; and most importantly, it's an easy eight-minute walk to South Station, even with suitcase in tow.

I'll add a 3rd nod to Club Quarters, there is a good pub on the 1st floor, Elephant Castle.

Club Quarters also offers rooms with kitchenettes (a rarity in the HUB), but they book quickly.

Luke's Lobster, just opened a Downtown Crossing location about 2 blocks from this hotel.

Ken

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. I did book a room at the Club Quarters. I stayed at one in Chicago a couple of years ago when I decided to plan a layover rather than risk not making my connection from the Zephyr to the Cardinal. It was more than adequate.

This should work fine. I return my car to Enterprise in South Boston, they drive me to South Station, I check my skis and gear bag to Baltimore, and then it's a quick walk over to the hotel, and a more relaxed ride home on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back