Boston Departure Problem

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
I noticed on Amtrak's website is that #145 and #449 both depart Boston at 9:50am. #145 arrives in Springfeild at 12:05pm and #449 arrives in Springfeild 12:25pm. Will this be a problem? :huh:

This won't pose a problem at Springfield, since there are at least 4 tracks and maybe 6 with platforms. I can't quite remember how many I saw for sure, although I'm positive that there are at least 4.

The more interesting problem as I see it is the fact that both trains are supposed to hit Back Bay at the same time. That I don't think is possible, so I'm guessing that either 145 will be delayed or have it's schedule altered.

Even more interesting is the fact that when the trains get to Framingham 449 is running 4 minutes ahead of 145, platforming at 10:17 am as opposed to 145's arrival at 10:21.

However when the trains get to Worcester they've now changed places. 145 get there first at 10:50, while 449 arrives at 10:53am. Then of course they've once again changed places by the time they arrive at Springfield, with 449 arriving at 12:05 vs 145's arrival at 12:25.

Looks like someone really screwed up on the schedule!

Well there have been some taks that the Acela Regionals will get a more standardized schedule on October 27 which may have yet to be decided. I just don't understand how two trains can run so close together.

Viewliner said:
Where does 145 terminate?
Well assuming that it doesn't accidentally get coupled with the Lake Shore, something that could happen with that schedule, it normally runs to DC.

Amfleet said:
Washgington DC, but #449 and #145 are the only Boston to Springfeild trains a day and with the scchedule they have now #145 might as well begin in Springfeild.
Maybe you just hit the nail on the head, Amfleet. That might well be the plan, to allow the LSL to service Framingham and Worcester. Then when the LSL gets to Springfield and southbound passengers can transfer to 145. 145 could then originate in Springfield, saving crew time, fuel, and equipment wear and tear.

Patience!

Let's not all jump the Gunn here (sorry David). :unsure:

The timetables, as seen by surfing the Amtrak reservations website and putting in certain dates and scenario's, are not final. I watch them all the time, and typically they change up to the week before they are to go into effect.

Regarding this particular situation, there is no way that #449 and #145/147 (147 is the train's number on weekends) are going to operate that close. One will inevitably delay the other, no matter which runs first.

Look for one of the following to happen:

#449 and #145/147 switch places. This would put #145/147 in a later slot on the NEC from New Haven to Washington, but it would maintain through service over the Inland Route from Framingham & Worcester to points south. Under this scenario #145/147 would also switch slots with another train, probably one of the 400-series shuttles between Springfield and New Haven. So yes, one would be able to take #449, and with a reasonable wait, transfer to another train at SPG to go south.

Another possibility is the annullment of #145/147 and its northbound counterparts 140/142 east of Springfield, keeping them as just Springfield-Washington trains like the other 14x-series. I am not sure what the passenger counts have been at Framingham & Worcester on these trains, but it can't be all that much. For intra-Massachusetts passengers east of Worcester, there is increased service on MBTA commuter trains, which operates more frequently and is cheaper anyhow.

Finally, there's still a possibility of extended Silver Service to Boston. While this has not been discussed lately with the moratorium on new trains and the abandonment of the Network Growth Strategy, the intent was to extend one Silver Service train to Boston, over the Inland Route so that mail/express could be handled at the mail center in Springfield. One main reason this was shot down, particularly for the preferred extension of #98 beyond New York to Boston, is that it would meet with interference with commuter trains between Worcester and Boston. Plus, the passenger-unfriendly CSX, which owns the tracks between Springfield and Boston, does not want any more movements on its tracks, so to run, say 97/98 or 91/92 over the route, the existing Inland Route train would have to go. I would venture to guess that extending a Silver Service train to Boston, over tracks already used by various existing Amtrak trains, does not constitute a "new train".

Again let's see what ultimately happens come the end of this month.

Frankly I think the trought runs to Boston via Springfeild are not necessary. Like Superliner Diner said the MBTA is already providing frequent service to Worcester to Boston. If a passenger wants to go from Boston to New Haven and beyond they should just take the costal route. Well we'll see what happens.

Amfleet, the idea of the Inland Route trains is to serve the intermediate point markets, such as Boston-Hartford, or Worcester-New York. I think these runs are still necessary, but they could be among the first to be cut back. One can go from Worcester to Boston on MBTA, or from New Haven to Hartford on Amtrak, connecting with other trains.

I have to admit though, as a railfan, I once took the Inland Route in its entirety. This was in the early 1990's. At that time, one of the Inland Route trains split from #66, then called the Night Owl. It had a #466 section that went to Hartford, Springfield, Worcester, and Boston, which of course got to Boston sometime after the parent train #66. I had boarded in New York City, only to find there were no available seats in the Shore Line part of the train. I found plenty of seats in the Hartford-Springfield section, and was able to spread out, in fact sleeping across two seats. When the train split at New Haven, the conductor said the other section is going to Boston, but when I confirmed that this section was going there too, albeit the long way, he let me stay. I certainly did not mind the extra hour of sleep, and I woke up when we were already running next to the Mass. Pike on the way into Back Bay station.

I think if the MBTA were to bring commuter trains out to Springfeild that would get some revenue. Then passengers could just connect to trains to continue south. I see your point on the service though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back