Boston (BBY) taxi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
First time trip on the LSL to Boston for work, will arrive at Back Bay Station about 9 pm. I'll need transportion to a hotel in Dedham. Will there be cabs at the station at that time of night, or is it best to make arrangements in advance? If so, any advice?

Thanks!

Cindy

First time trip on the LSL to Boston for work, will arrive at Back Bay Station about 9 pm. I'll need transportion to a hotel in Dedham. Will there be cabs at the station at that time of night, or is it best to make arrangements in advance? If so, any advice?

Thanks!

Cindy
:hi: Welcome to the Forum! I haven't been in Boston in a year, but the MBTA (Subway/Commuter Rail) runs to Dedham from Both Back Bay and South Station !(The Franklin Line!)You didnt say which Hotel you were going to but you can Google up the MTBA Site and your Hotel and see if its possible to hop on the Train to reach your Hotel, it might be Cheaper, Boston Taxis and Traffic can be Expensive and Hectic!! (Of course if your Expenses are Covered by work Taxis might work, but Id suggest staying on the Lake Shore to South Station(a Real RailRoad Station as opposed to a Subway Stop) its much Bigger, has more Services and should be easier to snag a Cab there! Same price to Back Bay or South Station and they are only about 10 minutes apart!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
As Jim mentioned, it will be much easier to get a cab from south Station. The other reason is that the entrance to the highway is RIGHT at South Station so you will have less driving through the city/traffic and it will be easier for the cab.

Have you considered getting off the train in Framingham? You would probably need to prearrange a cab or car service, but then you aren't going all the way into the city just to turn around and go back out.

I can't say that all hotels do this, but I know that several Dedham hotels including the Hilton & the Holiday Inn run a shuttle service to the Route 128 Amtrak station. So you may wish to inquire if your hotel has such a shuttle service as that would be faster & cheaper.

Dedham is right at the Route 128 stop! If possible, I would take the LSL right to South Station, and then take MBTA back to RTE. (There is a late evening departure.) Or take the LSL to NYP or the CL to WAS and take a train up to RTE! (All trains - both AE and Regionals - stop there.) The hotel may even pick you up at RTE!
cool.gif

The only thing is that if you take the LSL to NYP, the next train north is #66 at 3 AM, arriving after 7 AM!
ohmy.gif
If you take the CL to WAS, there are trains that arrive RTE before midnight!

Hey thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I'll consider the Framingham idea, and also had looked into Rte 128, but was confused about how to do that! You people are great...haven't posted on the forum for awhile, but read regularly. Love the train!! Took our first trip to LA a couple months ago from Iowa for a Hawaii cruise,and had an awesome trip!

Thanks again!

Cindy

Another question: suppose my son would decide to travel with me, but would detrain in Utica, NY to visit a friend, while I continue on to Boston. Would need to pick him up in Utica on the way home. Is it possible to make one reservation for this, or do we have to be ticketed separately. We would like to share a roomette. I think I've read here that he could detrain early (in Utica) on the way out, but what about boarding in Utica on the way back?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Cindy

You would either need 2 separate tickets (one from CHI to Utica for both of you, and one from Utica to BOS for just you), but why not just book both of you from CHI to BOS?
huh.gif
The cost of the room is the same for 1 or 2 - the only additional expense is the rail fare for the 2nd person. Compare both ways - it may be less (in the thru fare) than 2 separate tickets!
excl.gif
The only thing is that with a thru ticket to/from BOS, he could not check baggage (if he was) to/from Utica!
sad.gif

So...he could board in Utica, even thought his return ticket says he was supposed to board in Boston?? Is that right?

Yes!
cool.gif

Although not the same, in January AlanB and I rode to the Florida Mini-Gathering together. I began and ended my trip in Rhode Island and he began and ended his trip at NYP. I put his name on the complete reservation (including the portion he did not ride). There was no problem!
excl.gif

Thanks so much, traveler! I was worried the train wouldn't stop in Utica since his ticket says differently, and we'd just roll right on by; him waving furiously from the station! :eek:

Unless the stop is a flag stop (which Utica is not), a train is required to stop at all stations (since someone could buy a ticket just before the train arrives). And each time I have taken a train thru Utica, there have been many people boarding or detraining there!

Follow up on the taxi question at BBY. Google street view shows alot of taxi's waiting. Is this typical? How about arival on a Saturday afternoon? I am planning a trip and will have luggage so I am thinking the T may not be the best for where I am going.

Thanks.

Follow up on the taxi question at BBY. Google street view shows alot of taxi's waiting. Is this typical? How about arival on a Saturday afternoon? I am planning a trip and will have luggage so I am thinking the T may not be the best for where I am going.

Thanks.
Just returned from my trip last weekend (and going again for round 2 this weekend!). We arrived into Back Bay about an hour early (8pm)on a Sunday, and there were several taxis lined up in the street outside the entrance. No problem...except for the cab fare :eek: Next week I'll probably use commuter rail to Rte. 128 or Dedham Corporate where the hotel shuttle will pick me up for free.

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back