Booking via an Agent vs Online.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alan_s

Service Attendant
A number of people have mentioned calling an agent. I was going to book via the web, but it sounds like calling an agent may be better for roomentte allocation or for changing the price if I book early and the price later drops.

How do I find an agent? I could not find a list on the web-site. Is there a preference? Do the agents charge a commission?

I'll be calling internationally by Skype. Am I likely to be placed on hold for long periods waiting for an agent to answer?

Have any other international readers used US agents?

Any info on the booking process via an agent would be appreciated.

PS. A bit more searching found this; is this the correct way to contact an agent and what is TDD/TTY?

Reservations & Customer Service
1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or TDD/TTY (1-800-523-6590)

Last edited by a moderator:
I only call the agent when its a complicated booking. Anything that can be done on the website, I do it via web. I've called the agent when I need to book two different room types on one reservation or when putting three people in one bedroom.

Amtrak Agents are Free Alan! Just expect to be placed on hold and listen to spotty muzak for awhile/ and remember the Time difference, Amtrak Agents are very busy during Biz Hours and around Holidays.

TDD/TTY are teletype-like devices for the deaf.

I always book sleepers using the 800 number because I am picky about room location, and it is easier to get the right room from the start. For coach travel, I just use the website.

Amtrak Agents are Free Alan! Just expect to be placed on hold and listen to spotty muzak for awhile/ and remember the Time difference, Amtrak Agents are very busy during Biz Hours and around Holidays.
Are the agents available 24/7 or only US business hours? If the latter, which time zone applies?

24/7 but most Agents are on Eastern Time, there are some on Pacific Time in California.( we change from Daylight Savings to Standard time @ the end of Oct.)

Best time to call would be when it's night over here. I know you're across the International Date Line but can't remember the time difference? ( I'm Old! LOL).

24/7 but most Agents are on Eastern Time, there are some on Pacific Time in California.( we change from Daylight Savings to Standard time @ the end of Oct.)

Best time to call would be when it's night over here. I know you're across the International Date Line but can't remember the time difference? ( I'm Old! LOL).
I'm 68 :)

Right now it is approaching 9am here. I believe it is approaching 4pm in LA and 7pm in NYC. Next Sunday we will go to daylight saving time. At the same PT and ET times Sunday it will be 10am here.

I'm 68 :)

Right now it is approaching 9am here. I believe it is approaching 4pm in LA and 7pm in NYC. Next Sunday we will go to daylight saving time. At the same PT and ET times Sunday it will be 10am here.
Amtrak phone agents are available 24/7, so time zones are not an issue.

I got a cheaper price (by a couple hundred dollars) by booking online. I saw the price online but phoned Amtrak to book because I wanted to request a particular roomette. When the lady insisted the price was much higher than the Amtrak website I booked online and phoned back to modify my reservation to the roomette of my choice.

I got a cheaper price (by a couple hundred dollars) by booking online. I saw the price online but phoned Amtrak to book because I wanted to request a particular roomette. When the lady insisted the price was much higher than the Amtrak website I booked online and phoned back to modify my reservation to the roomette of my choice.
You got a bad agent who didn't know how to pull up a different room properly. Then got a good agent who knew how to shift rooms without affecting the price. That second agent would have been able to get you the room at the right price right off, and the first agent would probably have told you it would cost more to change it if you would have gotten him when you called back. It isn't a difference between a price between the website and the agent, it unfortunately was the skill level of the agent. I've learned to call back if the agent can't match the website price with a roomette that I'd prefer. You did a variation of the same thing.

To clarify, these agents are employees of Amtrak. They are not outside travel agents.
Right. Amtrak phone agents are hit-or-miss on getting best fares. Call back and ask again if the fare looks bad, check amsnag, check amtrak.com

Most outside non-Amtrak travel agents, when they can be bothered to book you on Amtrak - be prepared to lose. There may be some good ones, but.

I remember a passenger from Winona way back, when the EB was running only 3/week MSP SEA. The conductor lifted her ticket, and noted that there was going to be a 1-day layover. Pax said "what?" . Conductor said -- the next train west is not tonight, it's tomorrow night. Pax said "***, my [hicktown] travel agent got me this ticket. what are you saying" Conductor -"the next train West is tomorrow night, not tonight, you need a motel room to wait for the train tomorrow night?" Pax was baffled, annoyed. Conductor offered help to book her a room at the motel where the train crew stayed, Seemed to work out OK.

But --

Quote:

"You got a bad agent who didn't know how to pull up a different room properly. Then got a good agent who knew how to shift rooms without affecting the price."

I had not yet booked a trip. The first agent simply told me that the rate I was seeing online didn't exist. So I hung up and booked on line .....

Called back to modify to roomette of my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back