Booking Sleepers on the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
I am planning a trip on the Texas Eagle around the Thanksgiving holiday from Poplar Bluff, MO (PBF) to Los Angeles (LAX). The itinerary will require a paid ticket to El Paso and then a one zone AGR award to Los Angeles. The mixed itinerary is due to black dates and a evoucher expiring on 12/1.

Sleeper accomodations are still available at this time but I better act fast. Is it train #421 that I must choose in order to assure a one seat ride without changing cars in San Antonio? Any additional insight would be appreciated on this mixed itinerary.

Yes, you would want to select 421 when booking.

If you have to break up your itinerary like that, I would book over the phone. You'll want to make sure that you get the same room number for both segments.

Go ahead and check what Fare is going all the way through; it may actually be low enough that you do not want to torcch 15,000 Points on a fairly short haul. For example, for the same 15,000 Points you could go El Paso on up to Seattle. And you can still use your Voucher, should not have to worry about Blackout Dates and actually put some additional Points into the Kitty.

The way I determine whether using points is worth it or not is to divide the cash price of a ticket by the number of points needed for that same ticket.

Example: $250/15,000=$0.016 value per point.

I don't like to use points if the value per point is less that $0.02. $0.03-0.04 per point is what I try to shoot for.

The way I determine whether using points is worth it or not is to divide the cash price of a ticket by the number of points needed for that same ticket.

I don't like to use points if the value per point is less that $0.02. $0.03-0.04 per point is what I try to shoot for.
Your value per point sounds pretty good. If you were to buy the 10,000 points each year the cost is $0.0275 per point. If you figure in the 30% bonus the cost is .021 per point. When I book a trip, I compare the dollar cost of the ticket vs the cost of the necessary points (.0275) for the same ticket. If I could purchase sufficient points (beyond the 10,000 max), that cost is less than the ticket cost. Of course, I earn a lot of points via my Chase AGR credit card and use the online shopping portal when I can (for things I'd purchase anyway).

That's not a high "shoot for" point. 50K got us a bedroom round trip ATL to ELP selling for near $4K.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The itinerary actually starts first with a AGR redemption from PBF to ELP. Then a paid ticket from ELP to LAX. Payment for this consisted in part with an evoucher expiring on December 1. I was able to secure the last roomette on train 421 to ELP in car 2130. Bedrooms were unfortunately sold out. At ELP, i will have to change rooms but remain in the 2130 car. Overall I feel fortunate to secure sleeping accommodations for this trip during the Thanksgiving holiday period as late as I did.

That that include connections? IE: If I travelled from NYP to LAX on AGR 3-zone reward, and the blackout date starts on Tuesday, I can leave NYP on Monday and even though I board in CHI on Tuesday I can?

You were actually able to AGR over Thanksgiving? Thought that was a blackout time...

You can't BOARD a train on a blackout date, but if you're already on the train its OK.
I was fortunate to book the PBF>ELP segment on 11/28 (a non-blackout date) at 11:44 PM. If scheduled arrival time was 16 minutes later I would have been up the creek without a paddle since 11/29 is a blackout date.

Now knowing that Amtrak OTP is not the best, if my train arrives late into November 29 will my reservation still be honored?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am reasonably certain without any evidence that it is based on scheduled time. They can't expect someone with a valid reservation to be blacked out due to a train delay. The next days 11:44 pm will certainly be blacked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back