Booking Roomette - how do I know which side I'll be on?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PPorro

Train Attendant
I think I saw something about this a couple years ago. But here's a real example. California Zephyr, leaving in March from Chicago. (and anything else for advise please chime in, like front or back of the car?) I would prefer upper level, facing North, the right, side of the train.

Empire Building returning, also March 2016, Looks like I'd prefer the South, also right, which is West side of the train coming down from MPLS?

Is there any way to determine if I'm booking tomorrow, what room I want to request?

amtrak-diagram-superliner-sleeper.jpg

Also I'm thinking if there's no way to know, do I take room 2 for a smoother ride, and just hope?

Are all identical for windows and view? For example, room 9 looks nice and peaceful. Less traffic to the stairway and rest room. But over the wheels might be more bump prone?

What do experience people think of the different positions on the car.

Short answer, there is no guarantee as to side of train.

I would prefer a room with only one neighbor (2, 9, or 10), but it is not a big deal. I also prefer upper level, but some like the (allegedly) smoother ride and reduced traffic of the lower level.

I don't know if the sleepers move around on the Zephyr. Last August, the sleepers were on the back (except the transition sleeper, of course). On the Empire Builder, the 7 and 8 train sleepers are always at the front and the 27 and 28 train sleeper is always at the back.

For quietness, I wouldn't pick #9 or #10 as you'll be right next to the vestibule door, so any time someone walks thru your car you'll hear it open & then close; and if it breaks-open you'll be more exposed to the elements (and outside noise) then other rooms.

peter

If you place the call to a reservations agent, can't the agent tell you which room you'll be in? I realize that they can't tell whether the car has been turned or not.

jb

If you place the call to a reservations agent, can't the agent tell you which room you'll be in? I realize that they can't tell whether the car has been turned or not.

jb
Of course they can, and you should receive an email with your specific room number in it........ It is certainly on your ticket.

And, "generally", the closer to the middle of the car, the smoother the ride. There is less "sway" on the lower level, and it is much quieter, because there is no "thru traffic", but the trade-off is not as good for viewing, because you are much lower.

My favorite roomettes are either 3 or 4. Away from the commodes and stairs, but close to the middle. Sometimes, rooms over the trucks ("wheels") can be very noisy (doors might not be as quiet as they should be) and sometimes a little bumpier.

Last edited by a moderator:

jb
Yes, and that is why I always call for a sleeper reservation instead of using the website, as I am picky about room location.

Also, I thought of one exception to "you don't know what side you will be on because you have no way of knowing which way the car is oriented" rule. That is the transdorm, the transdorm is always oriented the same way. I don't know which side odd and even are in the transdorm, though.

There are exceptions even to the transdorm room orientation. Several years ago my westbound CZ was annulled in Reno due to a snowslide in the Sierras. The engines were placed on the other end, and the train ran with the equipment "backwards" to Chicago, with transdorm and baggage car on the rear. The passengers for #6 from points west of Reno were bustituted to Reno.

jb
Yes, and that is why I always call for a sleeper reservation instead of using the website, as I am picky about room location.
I too am picky about my roomette.....I much prefer to face forward with the window to my left. One would guess that I would have a 50/50 chance of this everytime I board a new train, but out of the last 6 trips, only once did I get my preference!.....pure bad luck.

I have never been on the transdorm car, but it is looking promising for my next long distance trip west (except the Eagle from Chicago to L.A. where it wouldn't be possible.) In looking at the transdorm diagram, it looks like any odd numbered roomette would be facing in direction I want to go.......have I got that right?

the transdorm is the only car that cannot be flipped.

Even numbers on the right, odd numbers on the left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not entirely true...

Occasionally Amtrak will run the Transdorm on the end of the train (with the sleepers there too) in which case it is flipped. Also, if they really wanted to, they could run two transdorms together; although I don't think this has ever happened (I understand it used to happen with the HiLevels)

peter

Not entirely true...

Occasionally Amtrak will run the Transdorm on the end of the train (with the sleepers there too) in which case it is flipped. Also, if they really wanted to, they could run two transdorms together; although I don't think this has ever happened (I understand it used to happen with the HiLevels)

peter
There are no guarantees in life, and running a consist backwards does happen, usually in the case of a bustitution, but those cases are very much the exception, not the rule. The orientation of the regular sleepers is random.

Though there are no guarantees, the percentages are in favor of the Transdorm Sleeper positioned for access to the Baggage car, if one is part of the consist. Also, I have found the lower level rooms can be extremely noisy if there is a family of several children in the Family Bedroom. The door opening and closing once a minute is more than distracting, especially since most children like to slam the door. I find it is interesting to see the variety of the same number room when I travel. It the car a Superliner I or II, which direction is the car positioned, has the car been upgraded recently, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back