Booked trip for Sept 14, 2011

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Harper

Lead Service Attendant
In order to get a one time AGR bonus, I've booked a quick trip to WAS on the NE Regional out of RVR for Wednesday, Sept 14. Hubby and I will be traveling in coach, spend a few hours in WAS, then return to RVR in late afternoon.

Our train is supposed to pull into WAS about 10:15 AM and we'll board the train to return to RVR sometime before 3:55 PM. That leaves us with about 5-1/2 hours in which to do something in DC, which will include eating lunch somewhere.

Can anyone suggest a good place to eat lunch in the area of WAS Union Station? Something within walking distance preferable. Or is eating at the station recommended?

On National Train Day in WAS ,a bunch of wild and crazy AUers had Lunch in the Brew Pub next door to Union Staion.( a couple of us were embarrased by these yahoos! :lol: ) It's located in the old Post Office Building to the right of the front entrance to Union station! Good food, very good Beer and Ale!(For Washington, reasonable prices!)

There is also an good Irish Pub across the Street located in the Phoenix Park Hotel (several of us stayed there during NTD, good hotel!)and the food court in Union Station (downstairs) has all the usual fast food places. There are a couple of nice resturants (ie White Table Cloth and Wine)located in Union Station but they are a little pricey!

If you have coupons you can use the Club Acela to hang out/fresehen up in. Id also suggest, if its a nice day. to talk a walk over to the Mall in front of the Capitol, or jump on the Subway and go over to the Mall, its a great place to just kill time while people watching, seeing the free Museums and Monuments etc.

The "Brew Pub" that Jim mentioned is "the Capital City Brewing Company". It is located in the building right next to Union Station. (There is an entrance from the street with a long stairway, but you can also enter from inside the Postal Building. Turn left inside the door.)

Pat,

There are a few other restaurants located right within the station, as well as an extensive food court downstairs on the lower level. And there are of course dozens of other restaurants in DC

Alas, it would seem that the Capitol City Brewery couldn't handle the AU gang. They closed shortly after our visit. :(
But since they're going to open INSIDE Union Station in October, that's less distance that we have to stagger (er... walk) to our trains!
laugh.gif

On National Train Day in WAS ,a bunch of wild and crazy AUers had Lunch in the Brew Pub next door to Union Staion.( a couple of us were embarrased by these yahoos! :lol: )
Well, golly gosh, I know a had SEVERAL beers, but I didn't mean to embarrass anyone :huh: or contribute to its demise. :blush:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I recently ate lunch at "America", which is located within Union Station, and it was pretty good. You can get a table in the old waiting room (which is the big room on the Columbus Circle side) which makes for a pleasant setting.

There is also a Pizzeria Uno within the station, that is okay.

Metro's Red Line stops basically within WAS and you could take it 2 stops to the Gallery Place/Chinatown station where there are many restaurants, pubs, etc.

Where to go really depends on what you want: A fancy place? A chain? Local color?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, darn. I won't have my AGR card until after that trip (they send it to you after your first booking).

Thanks for all the recommendations. Consensus is that there is plenty of places around Union Station proper, so we won't have to go far. Hubby read that the Washington Memorial has been closed until further notice, so that's out as far as something to do. He likes to do things outdoors as long as it's not too hot, so hopefully it will be cooler in a couple of weeks, at least cooler than it is in south Louisiana!

Sounds like a walking tour will keep us occupied for a few hours.

The Washington Monument is indeed closed and will likely remain that way for at least a week and quite possibly longer. However, the rest of the mall is still open, including the war memorials, the new Martin Luther King Jr. memorial, the Lincoln Memorial. Alternatively you could always spend some time in one of the Smithsonian's.

You could also consider a tour of the Capitol, book your tickets in advance if you do and allow lots of time to get through security. And bring no food, water, juice at all with you as you'll have to throw it out to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back