boarding LSL at midnight, will there be food/drinks for sale?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
vv: since you live overseas you might not have seen the various threads discussing the growing trend of LD Trains that don't have Diners.

Currently the following LD Trains are without a Diner or else lack a Chef.

Silver Star, Lake Shore Ltd., Cardinal,Ciry of New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just occurred to me now that I should have arranged for Domino's to

deliver a pizza to me at the station. If they are like my local Domino's

store, they probably stay open until at least 1AM... or 3AM on weekends.

:)

vv: since you live overseas you might not have seen the various threads discussing the growing trend of LD Trains that don't have Diners.

Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Ltd., Cardinal,Ciry of New Orleans.
Silver Star, not Meteor

Silver Star, not Meteor
speaking of the Silver Meteor, I've always hated names like that for any mode of transport.(car, plane, train.....) another one off the top of my head was the Comet (commercial jet) which didn't end well.... :( it's almost as bad as people naming their baby "Damien" ?

a meteor doesn't have a happen ending.

Thanks Bob

We got lucky then as our rail adventure this year includes both the LSL and the Silver Star, at least we have another 2 rides that still have a diner.

Funny thing is, the diner is where we have met most fellow travellers (the best thing for us on LD train rides), more so than the sight seeing lounge or café so yes we'll miss the diners but I guess we'll survive.

The difference being that in the case of the LSL we have been promised that the diner will return when the new cars start arriving. Of course none of us will be holding our breath waiting.

We were on LSL last week and the cafe person was the RUDEST OBS I have encountered (and that says alot considering many ARE rude and I have taken 5 LD r/t). I boycotted the snacks!!

Silver Star, not Meteor
speaking of the Silver Meteor, I've always hated names like that for any mode of transport.(car, plane, train.....) another one off the top of my head was the Comet (commercial jet) which didn't end well.... :( it's almost as bad as people naming their baby "Damien" ?

General Motors had a concept car called the Impact. They actually brought it out on the market with few changes, but decided that "EV1" sounded better.

Silver Star, not Meteor

I kind of like the name Silver Starvation.

Silver Star, Lake Shore Ltd., Cardinal,Ciry of New Orleans.
I knew Silver Star, Cardinal, and Lake Shore Limited didn't have a diner anymore, but wow the City of New Orleans no longer has one? That really sucks. It's sad I fear this trend will spread to more long distance trains, in time. :( Though I'll usually bring some of my own food on the train anyway, to snack on as well.

You might want to wait until you get to Chicago for a Good Breakfast since all you'll get on the train is Am coffee and Cafe garbage @ High Prices! Glad you made it to the Station safely, and now you know why we say the LSL is usually Late into Buffalo!
Wrong. Taking a glance at the menu, it looks like they're still able to offer a somewhat okay selection given the circumstances. As far as the quality goes I have no idea, I'm sure it's not as good as an actual diner, but it's not "Cafe garbage @ High Prices!"
Which part of the menu contradicts the claim of (Cross Country) Cafe garbage at high prices? Do you consider $8.50-$24.75 to be a low price for generic precooked frozen food? So far as I am aware none of the LSL entrees are cooked on board, let alone made to order or prepared from scratch, so I'm not sure what you're intending to challenge by linking to the menu.

The City still has its CCC (Diner) but no Chef! Just like on the Cardinal with it's Diner Lite, the Attendant on the CONO heats up your choice from a Limited Menu and serves it, hence the slogan "Heat and Eat!" Sad!

I would point out that using Diner Lite is not a new phenomenon invented in the 21st Century. when the Pioneer was introduced as a 24 hour train from Salt Lake City to Seattle, it ran for many years with what amounted to a Diner Lite kind of arrangement. Later it ran just with a Sightseer Lounge and no Diner for many years too.

You might want to wait until you get to Chicago for a Good Breakfast since all you'll get on the train is Am coffee and Cafe garbage @ High Prices! Glad you made it to the Station safely, and now you know why we say the LSL is usually Late into Buffalo!
Wrong. Taking a glance at the menu, it looks like they're still able to offer a somewhat okay selection given the circumstances. As far as the quality goes I have no idea, I'm sure it's not as good as an actual diner, but it's not "Cafe garbage @ High Prices!"
Which part of the menu contradicts the claim of (Cross Country) Cafe garbage at high prices? Do you consider $8.50-$24.75 to be a low price for generic precooked frozen food? So far as I am aware none of the LSL entrees are cooked on board, let alone made to order or prepared from scratch, so I'm not sure what you're intending to challenge by linking to the menu.
Just want to remind you that Bob's comment was regarding breakfast in that comment thread, so meals do not go to $24.75. $12 for the highest breakfast price entree of a three egg omelet with potatoes and sausage. If you would rather go to the lounge car and pay $4.75 for a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich, and a Sara Lee muffin for $3.25, and maybe a Greek yogurt for $2.50 (total of $10.50, and this is assuming the prices didn't raise since last year, since the menu posting on the website still reflects 05/15 prices) to try and fill yourself as much as the most expensive breakfast entree in the "diner", knock yourself out.

I would like to make it clear that I am not in support of having any sort of diner-lite. However, I was merely stating that comparing the diner-lite breakfast offering to the lounge car offering is complete BS in the sense of value and taste. The lunch/dinner offerings? Yeah, no. You're screwed when it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back