Boarding in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BethChicago

Train Attendant
We're taking the California Zephyr on Friday - a family of 4 with 2 kids under 6. We're in coach, but I believe we have "reserved seating." (Alas, a room was out of our budget.) Does this mean our location is pre-determined or should we plan on arriving extra early to get seats together?

Wondering that since the CZ originates in Chicago, how early can we or should we board? I know it says arriving at least 30 minutes early to check luggage.

Thanks!

Beth & fam

The Redcap idea is an absolute must unless you like a long walk dragging kids and luggage. I think $5.00 for a Redcap is the best investment in the whole world. I never get on or off any train without a ride with my luggage to the terminal.

"Reserved Seating" on Amtrak just means that you are reserved on the train. It does not mean like airlines that you have seats 30 & 31.

They sometimes offer early boarding for families with small children. Also, most times, there are seats set aside (look for the handwritten signs above the seats) that say "reserved for families or groups. Also ask your car attendant for assistance getting seats together, if necessary. Or, as suggested, obtain a Red Cap, and you will board before the masses. (The Red Cap will also assist you with your bags, of you have any!
happy.gif
)

Great advice, thank you! So how early is "early" to snag a redcap and get on board? An hour before? 45 min?

Thanks!!

Great advice, thank you! So how early is "early" to snag a redcap and get on board? An hour before? 45 min?

Thanks!!
If you are going to check baggage, I would think an hour would be sufficient.......however, if it is a time of the day when rush hour is involved, I suppose a little more cushion wouldn't hurt...... :)

On the Empire Builder they reserve seats for groups of a certain size (like 2,4,6, etc.). That means that even an Amish Family of about 8 can travel together. Just be on time for boarding. If a room was out of your budget, you might be able to get a Family Bedroom on board at the lowest bucket, if there's one left.

Try to get seats in the middle of the coach, as far as possible from the doors, (but not right by the stairs in the middle).

Rather than adding a new thread I will shirt tail on this:

Saturday 28 May I board SWC #3 from CHI-LAX with a roomette in the transdorm. A few questions come to mind...

What time do they want us in the lounge before departure?

How and when do they collect us from the lounge to get to the train?

What do I expect in the lounge?

They like you to be there about an hour before departure. If you get there earlier, they'll even give you a card to use for reentry to the lounge that will have the time to be back in the lounge on it.

Depends on the train and when it's ready. Typically for the Chief they'll send you out 20 to 30 minutes before departure. They'll make a PA announcement and generally assuming normal operations, have you meet by the back door of the lounge which leads directly out to the tracks.

Nice seats, TV's, a fire place, clean bathrooms, and refreshements. They'll also daycheck your bags for you if you so desire.

What stations have Redcap service? I'm wondering if AUS or FTW has any of them.
Short answer: VERY FEW stations outside of the Northeast, and not all that many in the Northeast.

The Amtrak timetable used to note in the list of stations whether there was Redcap Service at that station, but the most recent one does not.

They like you to be there about an hour before departure. If you get there earlier, they'll even give you a card to use for reentry to the lounge that will have the time to be back in the lounge on it.

Depends on the train and when it's ready. Typically for the Chief they'll send you out 20 to 30 minutes before departure. They'll make a PA announcement and generally assuming normal operations, have you meet by the back door of the lounge which leads directly out to the tracks.

Nice seats, TV's, a fire place, clean bathrooms, and refreshements. They'll also daycheck your bags for you if you so desire.
Perfect for the day check since I arrive to the station about 6:25 AM...I am flying in from LAX on a red eye via Phoenix.

I need some advice here. My wife and I are taking the Empire Builder from Montana to Chicago; arrive Chicago 19 May, 3:55pm, (or so the EB schedule reads.) We then transfer (same day; same afternoon) to the Capitol Limited (CL) departing Chicago 6:40pm for Washington D.C. Yes, that leaves us only 2 hrs 45 minutes to get off the EB and get on the Capitol Limited. That's not a lot of time considering EB isn't noted for being on time. But let's say it is or close to it. What's the best way to rapidly get off the EB, find the CL and get on it? Will we have to mad dash it? Red Cap? We do have reservations for a roomette on the CL. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I need some advice here. My wife and I are taking the Empire Builder from Montana to Chicago; arrive Chicago 19 May, 3:55pm, (or so the EB schedule reads.) We then transfer (same day; same afternoon) to the Capitol Limited (CL) departing Chicago 6:40pm for Washington D.C. Yes, that leaves us only 2 hrs 45 minutes to get off the EB and get on the Capitol Limited. That's not a lot of time considering EB isn't noted for being on time. But let's say it is or close to it. What's the best way to rapidly get off the EB, find the CL and get on it? Will we have to mad dash it? Red Cap? We do have reservations for a roomette on the CL. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Well I just saw the CL departs Chicago 30 minutes earlier effective 9 May. That means we have only 2 hours and 15 minutes to make the change. I don't think we're going to make it - too close.

Since you have a roomette on the CL, go to the Metropolitan Lounge. I have connected between the EB and CL a few times, and have had plenty of time. Another reason to go to the Metropolitan Lounge directly upon arrival is that they take dinner reservations for the CL there. If you can get the earliest seating (if that's what you want), then you could end up being served dinner and be eating before the CL even leaves the platform!
happy.gif
(Boarding from the lounge usually is like 30-40 minutes before departure!)

Well I just saw the CL departs Chicago 30 minutes earlier effective 9 May. That means we have only 2 hours and 15 minutes to make the change. I don't think we're going to make it - too close.
Last Fall when we Connected in CHI from the EB to the Cap We were Running Very Late through Minnesota! When We arrived into MSP an Amtrak Agent came Aboard, set up in the Diner and had Pax Making Connections in CHI (LD Trains had Priority)come to the Diner and Everyone was told Their Arrangements Whether Bustitution, Train Subsittution or Even A Night in a CHI Hotel w/ Cab Fare and Meal $$$!! We were met by an Amtrak Agent and Led throught eh Outside Platforms to the Cap Ltd which We Made with a Fw Minutes to Spare, Even had Diner Rez Made for the Diner! Others were put onto the Cap,LSL,CONO or Regionals if Trains were available wherre they were Going to!

The CHI Agents are Very Experienced at Doing this, Happens Regularly in the Winter and During Derailments, Natural Disasters etc. Not to worry, You Should Be OK Unless the Flooding Continues, then you May be Bustituted from MSP-CHI????

Last edited by a moderator:
Get there early and find a redcap....tip him 5 bucks and he will take you out before the crowd hits the platform...... :ph34r:
Honestly, in this day and age, it is worth more than $5 to get you out to the latform ahead of the others, especially if the red cap is carrying some of your luggage.
OK, for 2 adults and 2 kids plus luggage, I would go $10.00..... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back