boarding for CZ sleeper at Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckles

Train Attendant
Do I understand correctly that we must go through the lounge because boarding is done from the lounge?

It seems to me that the lounge must be pretty crowded with three major westbound trains leaving within an hour or so.

If you think the lounge is crowded, can you imagine what the rest of the station is like?

You dont "have" to board from the lounge, but it is much more convenient to do so.

It can be pretty crowded, but its not like there is a mad rush for the exit when each train is called. From what I have seen, its pretty organized.

Welcome to AU by the way. :)

The Good thing about Boarding from the Metro Lounge is you avoid the Really Overcrowded Coach Waiting Rooms and the Loooooooooooong Lines that sometimes stretch across the Station as well as the Surly Gate Guardians that are Infamous for their Less than Friendly Service!

The System they use is that the Conductor(s) for each LD Train will come to the Lounge as Announced (they start with the California Zephyr, then the Empire Builder, then the Texas Eagle etc.)to Pull/Scan tickets, then you can either use a Red Cap from the Lounge to be taken to your Train by a Cart or Walk with the Group on the Kindergarten Walk down the Platform to your Train led by an Amtrak Employee!

Yes, the Lounge Can get Crowded in the Afternoon, I'd recommend getting there Early as you can,, Day Check your Luggage with the Red Cap, utilize the Clean Restrooms and stake out a Chair or Table and Grab some Refreshments before the Hungering Masses Gobble them All up! The wifi and Cell Service inside the Lounge is Slow and Iffy (it's in the Basement of the Station) and the One Computer Terminal in there is So Slow that Users have Celebrated their Next Birthday while waiting on it to Respond! :giggle:

But Seriously, it's a great Perk and Lately the Attendants have Really been Friendly and Helpful!!! Don't Leave Chicago without Using it!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We just did it last week, and yes, the Metropolitan Lounge was crowded, but there was plenty of available sitting. I was not impressed. Then, I walked around and looked in the coach waiting areas, and realized the Metropolitan Lounge wasn't that bad. :giggle: They call passengers by train and you board from the rear of the louge, very convenient.

Ah, I see now. I was thinking of the major long-distance trains with sleeper service leaving at the same time, and it hadn't occurred to me that the rest of the station would be even worse. Many thanks for everyone's feedback,

About what time do they usually start boarding the CZ sleepers?
The one time I rode the CZ (Nov 2011), we were told to be back at the lounge by 1:00. I don't recall when we boarded, but am guessing around 1:15-1:30.

Boarded the CZ from the Metropolitan Lounge at 1:25pm on February 1st. I was told to be back in the lounge by 1:15pm.

I concur with those who tell you that if you're in sleeper departing Chicago, it is far better to board from the lounge.

I definitely agree with the previous posters. I thought the Metro lounge was bad, until I had to board from coach! Also, the entry into the Metro lounge is the worst part - there's often a bottleneck as people are trying to check in (with little to no room for a waiting area) or check their bags at two counters right across from each other - right in the only route into or out of the lounge. It's not a very good arrangement. However, once you get in it's not as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back