Boarding for CL in WAS and CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleeter

Service Attendant
I'm taking the Capitol Limited to Chicago tommorow, and taking it back on the 16th. I was curious, however, about boarding for sleeper passengers (I'm in a Roomette), and making dinner reservations in the Met Lounge/Club Acela, which I've heard talked about. How exactly does this work, and how can you make dinner reservations before boarding in Washington or Chicago for the CL?

I don't recall making dinner rez in WAS before boarding but in CHI they will ask you at the desk when you check into the lounge what seating you want.

They do it in Chicago but not washington. Iirc the first seating out if Chicago is 6:30. If you want an earlier seating check in earlier in the day, drop off your bags and make your dinner reservation.

To clarify Steve4031's post: If you want that 6:30PM seating, best to stop at lounge in Chicago earlier in the day to ask for it then, They'll also hold luggage for you there, while you're out and about in Chicago if you wish.

They do not take dinner reservations in WAS because the departure is well before dinner service. In CHI, departure is during the normal dinner meal period, thus they take dinner reservations in the ML.

However, I've taken the 6:30 seating many times and by the time the food is served, the train was well into Indiana! Also remember that dinner reservation times are Central time, and shortly after departure you enter Eastern time 1 hour later. So if you turn your watch to local time and chose a later reservation time, your 8:00 reservation will be called at 9:00 local time!

I have transferred in PGH (that is early) so have gone to sleep early - and they were still calling dinner reservations!

The Capital Limited is a train notorious for late dinner reservations, particularly if your trying to get in and pay going in coach. Its a train that I won't plan on eating in the diner in if I'm paying and going coach. I just assume pick something up in Union Station and bring it aboard.

When taking the Capitol Limited out of Washington dinner reservations will be made by the LSA coming through the train shortly after departure. I recommend an early seating during the most scenic parts of the trip I recommend an earlier seating (5:30-6:30).

Out of Chicago they should take your reservation in the lounge. I again recommend an early seating. It isn't all that scenic departing Chicago and there's usually a positive vibe on the train right after leaving. In my experience as dinner drags on there is more chance of poor service towards eight or nine.

To clarify Steve4031's post: If you want that 6:30PM seating, best to stop at lounge in Chicago earlier in the day to ask for it then, They'll also hold luggage for you there, while you're out and about in Chicago if you wish.
Agreed. Typically they will try to make your reservation when you check in to the lounge. Alternatively they will make a general call about an hour before departure, or both. If you check in and they don't ask, then ask. It is first-come first-pick when it comes to seating times.

I'll make the suggestion of getting a Red Cap in DC. The one time I boarded the CL in DC they had me on the train an hour before departure!! :) I'll also add that the train left from track 15.. Which for those who don't know is a hike! So try and get a RC in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back