Boarding code?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crescent_rider

I do a fair amount of last minute travel from an unstaffed station. So when I make a reservation I call Amtrak and they give me a reservation number and a boarding code so I can pay on the train. Now I know the reservation number is how everything is referenced and the conductor or ticket agent always ask for it. I have never been asked for the boarding code though and the 1800-USA-RAIL agents always say I must have it to board the train. What is the deal with this number? Is it even used at all?

Boarding codes have been around for a long time and probably are still official policy. That doesn't mean the conductor wont' take your word for it. I had them ask me what price I was quoted over the phone.

How do you get AGR points. I live near an unmanned station and need to take some last minute trip occasionally.
Aloha

First you must be a member of AGR. If not PM one of us with your E-mail, and we can give you a referral. Then both will get a 500 point bonus if you register within 30 days(or 90) of travel. the code being discussed is for traveling from an un-staffed station.

I do a fair amount of last minute travel from an unstaffed station. So when I make a reservation I call Amtrak and they give me a reservation number and a boarding code so I can pay on the train. Now I know the reservation number is how everything is referenced and the conductor or ticket agent always ask for it. I have never been asked for the boarding code though and the 1800-USA-RAIL agents always say I must have it to board the train. What is the deal with this number? Is it even used at all?
I've had the exact same experience. The reservations desk always made a point about having the boarding code with me but the conductors only seem to use the reservation number and couldn't care less what the boarding code was. Even so I always write down the boarding code anyway just in case the reservation number doesn't work. It's a small price to pay for a second chance to avoid paying the maximum fare or getting left at the next station. Maybe things are different on other trains or in other parts of the country?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get AGR points. I live near an unmanned station and need to take some last minute trip occasionally.
Just give the telephone agent your AGR # (after following GG-1's advice, of course)
Unfortunately, this won't work. Regardless of whether the AGR # is given to the telephone agent, the points will never post. The only way to get one's points is to take a copy of the ticket and mail or fax it to AGR with a letter with the reservation number and explaining that it was a ticket written on board by the conductor and that you wish to get your points for the transaction. A few weeks later (hopefully) the points will post. This is the major reason I am eagerly anticipating the rollout of e-ticketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back