BOA Guest Rewards Credit Card - anyone receive it yet?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the 90-day deadline starts on date of activation, not date of approval to receive a card.

According to a BoA online rep, my card was shipped today and I'll receive it by 10/8! That's unacceptable, considering I applied for the card 9 business days ago and others have received the card before mine was even shipped!
If it shipped yesterday, you'll get it long before the 8th. Having no control over the mail, they have to under promise. When it shows up next week, their "by 10/8" will be technically correct (the best kind of correct!).
Well I have no problem on it getting here when it get's here once it gets shipped. My problem is that my card wasn't even shipped until today, after others have already received theirs. That's a few extra days to meet the $1k spend.

I have multiple cards with AmEx, Chase, and Discover. By far, BoA has been the worst experience I ever had trying to get this card.
Similar experience here--applied and was approved last week, just got email saying it was mailed yesterday.

Applied September 15.

Received a letter telling me that I was approved September 21.

Received a 2nd letter telling me that I was approved September 24.

Also received the 'your card has shipped' email September 24.

Hope to have card in hand and activated by September 30 and intend to make the 1K mark by using the BOA AGR card for all gas and groceries (I commute 85 miles each weekeday and will easily reach 1K within 90 days). Once at 1K will revisit usage going forward though I anticipate that it will become my new 'gas card' at the very least.

My billing cycle with Chase always ended with the 20th of the month so I stopped using it altogether after picking up a repaired lawn mower on the 19th.

I noticed the card does not use the magnetic strip but instead has the chip. I understand that is good for security but will it work in the card reading/scanning machines, such as those on gas pumps? If not that could be a serious drawback.

I noticed the card does not use the magnetic strip but instead has the chip. I understand that is good for security but will it work in the card reading/scanning machines, such as those on gas pumps? If not that could be a serious drawback.
Doesn't it have both? My debit card does and can be used either way.

Still waiting to receive my new BofA AGR card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presently have two cards with the chip. They also have the magnetic strip on the back, and will work with either the old style scanner or the new "insert the chip" type scanner. I suspect that my new AGR card will also work with both types of scanners. Hope this helps!

Call me sentimental, but wouldn't it be nice if the new AGR card had a picture of an Amtrak train on it?

My Capitol One card gave me the option of putting a picture of my own choosing on the card. It has the same picture that I use as my avatar here!

I just used my new BoA card at a grocery store scanning machine (not a chip machine) and it worked fine.

I just used my new BoA card at a grocery store scanning machine (not a chip machine) and it worked fine.
Whole Paycheck has the New Readers! Say it isn't so that you went to a Regular Grocery Store! LOL

Whole Paycheck has the New Readers! Say it isn't so that you went to a Regular Grocery Store! LOL
I went to a regular grocery store (Publix) today. I do not think our Whole Foods has new machines yet, or at least the last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. The only new machines I have seen were in Target.

Doesn't it have both? My debit card does and can be used either way.

Still waiting to receive my new BofA AGR card.
Sure enough I just looked again and there is a strip on the back-it is the same color as the card and doesn't show too well.

The card has chip, strip, AND raised numbers for the *really* old type of readers (ka-CHUNKa)!

I believe the 90-day deadline starts on date of activation, not date of approval to receive a card.
Online chat with BoA said 90 days starts on day of account opening, which is the same day I was approved. Kind of unfair, but all banks do this. The part that gets me is it took them almost two weeks to just send the card!

Ninety days from today is December 24; 75 days is December 9.

I don't think I'm going to have a problem with spending $1000 between now and Christmas Eve, or even Dec 9, especially with Thanksgiving and Hanukkah tucked in there, too. (Plus a five night hotel stay in a couple of weeks... that'll be what actually nearly takes care of it for me). Anyway, just saying, as we head into what for many is Spending Season, I suspect many will not be challenged by a $1000 spend requirement. (And if it was me just a few years ago, it'd be $1000 I'd be paying off for years afterwards. Don't be me a few years ago).

I admit I preferred the only $500 spend for Chase, which I just did earlier this year. On the other hand, getting another chunk of bonus points this year is ok, too. Maybe there will be another new card next year!

The card has chip, strip, AND raised numbers for the *really* old type of readers (ka-CHUNKa)!
They still use those things? Amazing!
But Who ever would have thought that Vinyl Records and Turntables would get Hot agai n??!! What's next, 8 Tracks and VCRs?

Back to the Future!

They still use those things? Amazing!
VIA Rail actually used them a couple times when I made some on-board purchases on the train. Suppose it's easier than trying to make cell reception work on the Canadian!

It finally arrived! I got my no annual fee AGR card today and activated it by telephone (I'm in central Texas). Now all I have to do is confirm the dates to visit my son and his family in Seattle, and then charge my next Amtrak trip on my new card. Woo Hoo! Can't wait for my November trip, and double days for the Taylor to Seattle part! I'm already planning a spring trip that will use some of my newly found points!

On edit, I also have another 5 days to rack up more points on the old Chase AGR card. Is that double dipping? Gaming the system? LOL

Mine arrived sometime this week while I was away. Upon return I found it in my PO Box together with a rejection letter, a duplicate cancellation letter, two letters with FICO scores which by the way for some unknown reason was significantly higher than what I had seen last, and finally ..... Drumroll.... The Card!

I should have no problem putting $1000 on it before December, what with all the insurance bills and things like IEEE, ACM, NARP and what not membership dues coming up.

It finally arrived! I got my no annual fee AGR card today and activated it by telephone (I'm in central Texas). Now all I have to do is confirm the dates to visit my son and his family in Seattle, and then charge my next Amtrak trip on my new card. Woo Hoo! Can't wait for my November trip, and double days for the Taylor to Seattle part! I'm already planning a spring trip that will use some of my newly found points!

On edit, I also have another 5 days to rack up more points on the old Chase AGR card. Is that double dipping? Gaming the system? LOL
How you gonna do that? Charge the same thing twice (once each on the two cards)? :giggle:

You can however, buy two different things, one on each card until the 30th. Now THAT may be "double dipping"!

I received the email and took the online survey about applying for the card on the 14th. One of the questions was, "Were you satisfied with how quickly you received your new card?" Well, no, not really. I did the survey a day before I received my new card. :giggle:

How you gonna do that? Charge the same thing twice (once each on the two cards)?
Nope, I'll charge an additional trip for sometime in October. How about a weekend trip to Dallas for $38 round trip on the Eagle? Let's see, 100 point minimum each way, plus double days, plus 2 points for each $1 spent on the ticket on the Chase card. That's 100 +100 +100 +100 + 76 = 476 points for a weekend in Dallas, plus any hotel points if I don't stay at my sister's house. Now that's how we do a points run here in Texas!

Back