Blue Water to Chicago, any suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new here and I haven't been on a train other than subways and commuters since the 1960's, so please bear with me.

My wife and I have been pondering what to do for our 10th anniversary. She's already out of vacation time, so a long weekend is the best we're going to be able to do. One of the things we're thinking about doing to celebrate is taking the train to Chicago for a weekend.

Here's what I think I know, maybe one of you can tell me where I'm mistaken. We can catch the Blue Water in East Lansing, MI at 7:45 a.m. and get off at Union Station in Chicago at 11:15 a.m. We can bring our own food and eat it in our seats, but we can't do the same with alcohol. The train has a snack bar. The trip theoretically takes 4 1/2 hours each way, but it wouldn't be newsworthy if we were an hour or two late arriving in Chicago. We can upgrade from coach to business class for $8.00 a seat each way.

Now for the pesky new guy asking a lot of questions part...

What's the snack bar on this train like? Is the food any good? Do they have alcohol? Any idea on prices for food and drinks? What's the neighborhood around Union Station like these days? Would we be fools to walk to the nearest subway station? Besides $8.00, what's the difference between coach and business class on a train like this?

I know it would be quicker and cheaper for us to drive to Chicago than to take the train, but not having to deal with downtown Chicago traffic and parking and the long drive in general would make it worth it, right?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I'm new here and I haven't been on a train other than subways and commuters since the 1960's, so please bear with me.

My wife and I have been pondering what to do for our 10th anniversary. She's already out of vacation time, so a long weekend is the best we're going to be able to do. One of the things we're thinking about doing to celebrate is taking the train to Chicago for a weekend.

Here's what I think I know, maybe one of you can tell me where I'm mistaken. We can catch the Blue Water in East Lansing, MI at 7:45 a.m. and get off at Union Station in Chicago at 11:15 a.m. We can bring our own food and eat it in our seats, but we can't do the same with alcohol. The train has a snack bar. The trip theoretically takes 4 1/2 hours each way, but it wouldn't be newsworthy if we were an hour or two late arriving in Chicago. We can upgrade from coach to business class for $8.00 a seat each way.

What's the snack bar on this train like? Is the food any good? Do they have alcohol? Any idea on prices for food and drinks? What's the neighborhood around Union Station like these days? Would we be fools to walk to the nearest subway station? Besides $8.00, what's the difference between coach and business class on a train like this?

I know it would be quicker and cheaper for us to drive to Chicago than to take the train, but not having to deal with downtown Chicago traffic and parking and the long drive in general would make it worth it, right?

I haven't been on the Blue River before but travel the Wolverine often. This menu is very similar to what the Wolverine has.

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amthints-menus.shtml

In Chicago Union Station is about 4 blocks away from the 'loop' where you can catch an elevated train. (maps at: www.yourcta.com ) There is alot to do in downtown Chicago itself, here is Chicago's tourism website: http://www.choosechicago.com Union Station is just across the South Branch of the Chicago River.

peter

Excellent information. Thank you very much. Looks like 4 blocks to the El and transfer somewhere or another 3 or 4 to the Jackson street station to catch the Red line which would take us right to where we want to be.

I see you're from A2 I'm guessing the trip from there would be about the same as the trip from E.L. You go coach or spring the extra $$ for the bigger seat?

Thanks again.

Bill.

There is a lot to see and do in the area around Union Station, and I have always felt safe wandering about, especially during the day. Do not miss the opportunity to visit the observation deck on Sears Tower or John Hancock Center.

I'll be passing through Union Station in just a few days as I venture to visit family. I'm already looking forward to grabbing a couple Gold Coast Dogs in the food court before catching the Milwau, err, UP Metra to Itasca.

Excellent information. Thank you very much. Looks like 4 blocks to the El and transfer somewhere or another 3 or 4 to the Jackson street station to catch the Red line which would take us right to where we want to be.
I see you're from A2 I'm guessing the trip from there would be about the same as the trip from E.L. You go coach or spring the extra $$ for the bigger seat?

Thanks again.

Bill.
Being a fresh High School Grad, with no job I go for the regular coach. Its fun anyways; you get to meet more interesting people usually going non-first class.

peter

Being a fresh High School Grad, with no job I go for the regular coach. Its fun anyways; you get to meet more interesting people usually going non-first class.
peter
AGREED! Unless the coach is absolutely crammed, it can be quite enjoyable. You usually very quickly form a circle of friends with those seated right around you. I remember several years ago a lady near my seat on the Sunset Limited lost her billfold in the Diner, and when she mentioned it, those of us in that part of the Coach pooled together a "kitty" to see her through. She refused to accept it and about an hour later the Chief of Onboard Services came forward with her billfold someone had found on the Diner floor.

Chicago is one of my favorite towns, but I've always driven there. I'm getting more geeked about this idea by the minute.

Thanks.

Have done both car and train to Chicago, Train is by far the best way to go . It cost me more to park my car

for three days than the train tickets cost!!! I didnt even think about the train the first time I went for a weekend

to Chi but my hotel was a half mile from Union Station . after watching and hearing trains for acouple

of days it finally got through my head that it might be fun to take a train!! Been hooked on trains since then!!!

Trainfan

Most of the time the Blue Water runs with 4 horizen cars with a P-42 on each end.

Trainfan

Hi,

The food is what you would expect. Mediocre at best. As I recall from a year ago, a Pepsi was $1.50. Not that bad for a captive audience. Yes there is some alcohol. Beer for sure. I love business class. 3 seats across instead of 4. Bigger seats with a console type of thing between the seats. Wider aisle. A plug for each pair of seats. One free non alcoholic drink (pop, caffee, etc.) and I believe a free newspaper. In my opinion, well worth the $8.00.

Plan on the train being late. I was almost 2 hours late last year. Plan on at least an hour.

The Michigan - Chicago trains often pop up on the Amtrak "Weekly Specials" page.

If you're going coach, and can deal with the non-refundable/non-upgradable aspects of the "Weekly Specials" tix, jump on them.

For the last six weeks, the Blue Water has been averaging about 45 minutes late at the endpoints in both directions. About 10% of the time the train has been more than 2 hours late. I grew up in Ann Arbor and still visit regularly; when I go from there to Chicago I always take the train when I'm not going to need a car in the city. With one person it is usually cheaper than driving and parking, and the speed is fairly competitive given the time you may spend sitting on the Dan Ryan. If they could only make it a bit more reliable....

Incidentally, ridership on the Blue Water was up 5% in January year-over-year, and it often sells out into Chicago on Fridays and out of Chicago on Sundays.

Thats not entirely accurate. Below is the blue waters stats

All times are in minutes. This starts on January 1st, 2008 and ends the 31st of Jan.

Blue Water

Train:................#364 Ebound.......................#365 Wbound

Destination:........PTH....................................CHI

Run Time:..........423 ................................................419

Avg Late %:.......9.86%.............................................9.26%

AvgLtness Min:....41.70..............................................38.81

Latness:

........................5.....................................................52

........................17...................................................105

........................48...................................................172

........................15....................................................34

........................-22....................................................0

........................-9.....................................................41

........................109.....................................................

........................-19.....................................................3

........................27.....................................................6

........................0.....................................................11

........................-8.....................................................14

........................54.....................................................1

........................71.....................................................5

........................0.....................................................12

........................133.....................................................

........................22.....................................................7

........................47.....................................................4

........................104.....................................................

........................37.....................................................1

........................32.....................................................1

........................129.....................................................

........................-13.....................................................18

........................55.....................................................2

........................0.....................................................-15

........................-18.....................................................56

........................38.....................................................1

........................0.....................................................59

........................18.....................................................1

oh, but those feisty wine makers have come up with all sorts of unique packaging, if that happens to be your drink. we frequently take french rabbit wines on amtrak and have never been questioned. as long as you're not causing trouble and doing your best to conceal your beverages, i doubt anyone will blink an eye.

http://www.frenchrabbit.com/

we always upgrade to business class on corridor trains. the atmosphere is always calmer. isn't that what taking the train is all about?

if you don't mind the precise location of your hotel, opt for priceline. i just booked a room at the swissotel for $100 in march. you're guaranteed to find something in the loop with that or hotwire.com. you're certainly not a fool to walk in downtown chicago! it's not nearly as rough as it used to be. if it's too cold to walk to the El, just hail a cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back