Blue Water & Pere Marquette Trains will end August

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blue Water and Pere Marquette trains will end on August 10th 2006 unless we can persuade 1 person to put the $1 million back into the budget for Amtrak,Which would have to come from supplemental money.

The person we need to go after is Shirley Johnson she is the only person that can try to do this everyone else below her is a minority.

If Michigan Passengers do not want to lose these 2 trains then we need to make a big deal out of this and start contacting Shirley Johnson right now by e mail & phone.

Other wise the Blue Water and Pere Marquette trains will end on August 10th 2006.

Shirley Johnson

Republican of District 13

Office Phone: (517) 373-2523

Office Location: S-324 Capitol

E-mail Address: [email protected]

Here is a letter my Mom wrote to Sen Johnson.

Dear Senator Johnson,

I am writing to you as a citizen of Michigan concerned about the erosion of funding for alternative means of public transportation available to those in areas not convenient to airports, those without automobiles, the disabled, those who do not wish to travel on clogged highways that are in disrepair, and those citizens who do not wish to tackle treacherous winter driving conditions, which as you know lasts for many months here in Michigan. I am referring specifically to the funding for the Blue Water and Pere Marquette Amtrak lines that are proposed to be funded at $6.1 million dollars, which amounts to a short fall of $1 million dollars needed to keep these two lines in operation.

Certainly, as the chairperson of the Senate Appropriations Committee you are concerned with fiscal situation that Michigan is facing at this time, which is significant. The Blue Water and Pere Marquette Amtrak lines are solely dependent on the state to provide funding for its continuation, unlike the Amtrak line which runs through your district, and receives funding from federal government. Public rail transportation is an important, viable alternative to other means of transportation and is safe, economical, and efficient. The ridership on both of these lines have increased substantially, and more people are turning to rail travel in light of increased gasoline costs, and the ease and worry free mode of travel it provides. In my area of East Lansing/Lansing, the Blue Water line provides much needed transportation for students at MSU, as well as students at WMU and Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, and residents along the route of this line. The Pere Marquette line serves western Michigan, and provides much needed transportation to citizens in this area as well as to the university students of Grand Valley State, Hope College, Calvin College and Aquainis College. Rail travel is much less costly than airline travel and more convenient for many citizens in areas served by the Blue Water and Pere Marquette lines. The Blue Water line runs from the Canadian border in Port Huron to Chicago, and is a life line to many residents along its route. My family frequently takes the train to Chicago to visit our son who lives there. It is hassle free travel, relaxing, less expensive than driving, and much more convenient and less time consuming than traveling by bus. When we reach our destination we don't worry about parking our car and paying costly parking fees in Chicago.

In the event of a catastrophic situation such as 9/11, rail travel is absolutely essential. The plane on which I was traveling on 9/11 was forced to land in St. Louis, and I was stranded there with no hotel room, no possibility of renting a car, and no way to get home in a timely manner since no planes were allowed in the air for three days. Later that evening I was able to take a train to Chicago, and the next morning continue by train to East Lansing. The Blue Water line (formerly the International) provided me safe passage home.

I urge you to seriously consider reinstating the $7.1 million dollars needed to continue the Blue Water and Pere Marquette lines to operate in Michigan. Rail travel is an essential part of the transportation system in Michigan and in the United States.

Here is the letter you will get from Sen Shirley Johnson.

November 10, 2005

Dear

The transportation budget was especially difficult this fiscal year. As you

know, we had to make significant reductions all across the board, Amtrak

included. Last year Amtrak received $7.1 million from the State to reduce the

costs of tickets for passengers. As of right now, Amtrak will receive $6.1

million from the State; however, Amtrak has the opportunity to receive the $1

million that currently is not provided.

Amtrak, Congressman Joe Schwarz, and the Michigan Department of

Transportation have all informed me that hundreds of new jobs would be created if a

maintenance facility which is currently located in Indiana decides to relocate to

Michigan. As you know, job creation is a priority in Michigan right now.

Therefore, I have committed to appropriating $1 million more to Amtrak if they

indeed are able to bring the promised jobs to Michigan. Additionally, I

would do my best to find other funding to assist in promoting Amtrak, and

creating jobs in the State.

I would also like to take this opportunity to provide important data

regarding Amtrak. From 1999 to 2003, rider-ship dropped by 17%. At the same time,

the State increased the subsidy to Amtrak by 168%. Since then, the subsidy

has increased even more. Though rider-ship is beginning to increase again,

for the past seven years there has been no correlation between the amount of

the subsidy and rider-ship.

Should Amtrak fail to bring jobs to Michigan, then their funding cut of $1

million will be maintained. However, I do not foresee this cut resulting in a

significant reduction to the Grand Rapids-Chicago line. In the past, of the

$7.1 million allocated to Amtrak, only $2.4 million has been used for this

particular line with the remaining $4.7 million having been used for the Port

Huron-Chicago line. I doubt a disproportionate reduction which would

severely affect the Grand Rapids-Chicago line would occur.

I should also note that if we did not make this necessary reduction to

Amtrak, the only other available programs to cut would have been bus services.

Studies have shown that bus passengers have a significantly lower household

income and own fewer automobiles than rail passengers; and that rail passengers

are generally riders by choice with an option to drive more commonly

available. It is also interesting to note that median household income for rail and

bus passengers differ radically, with rail passengers' income generally two

to three times that of their bus counterparts.

Considering that bus service in Michigan is primarily used by Senior

Citizens, those with disabilities, and the economically disadvantaged; I did not

feel that it would have been appropriate to significantly reduce necessary

funding for what often amounts to their only form of transportation for the

benefit of Amtrak.

I should also note that while the current fiscal year's transportation

budget bill was being discussed in both the House and the Senate, there was not a

single person who offered testimony to support continuing to fund Amtrak's

subsidy at the previous level of $7.1 million.

Sincerely,

Shirley Johnson

State Senator

13th District

SJ: dp

BNSF_1088 said:
I should also note that while the current fiscal year's transportation budget bill was being discussed in both the House and the Senate, there was not a

single person who offered testimony to support continuing to fund Amtrak's

subsidy at the previous level of $7.1 million.

Sincerely,

Shirley Johnson

State Senator

13th District

That is not true the House passed the 7.1 million the senate voted it down.

In her letter she fails to tell why an increase is subsidy went up.The reason for that is the Federal Government dropped the 20% matching fund in the 2003 FY which meant the Amtrak budget went from $5.7 million to $7.1 million.

The 2nd thing is Amtrak never even mentioned that they would move the Amtrak maintenance facility to Michigan this was all made up by the Michigan legislatures and not Amtrak.Amtrak was having problems with the City of Beach Grove, IN and the Michigan Legislature jumped on this and made it look like Amtrak wanted to come to MI.

The 3rd note is a lie to the House of representatives passed the $7.1 million for Amtrak the Michigan Senate voted it down.When Sen Shirley Johnson says.

I should also note that while the current fiscal year's transportation budget bill was being discussed in both the House and the Senate, there was not a single person who offered testimony to support continuing to fund Amtrak's subsidy at the previous level of $7.1 million.

Sincerely,

Shirley Johnson

State Senator

13th District

The 4th note about the Chi-Grand Rapids train the Pere Marquette Sen Johnson fails to mention that both the Blue Water and the Pere Marquette trains are tied together as funding goes which means if the Blue Water goes so does the Pere Marquette train.

Matt Marderosian

Director of Save Our Trains Michigan/Save Our Trains Mississippi

www.saveourtrainsmichigan.com

www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Back