Bloomington/Normal (IL) station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
I am potentially planning a trip to Bloomington/Normal in November to watch my Northern Iowa Panthers play the Illinois State Redbirds in football. I can easily catch the train here in St Louis for the trip up to Bloomington. However, I know nothing about the area, and am hoping that someone here is familiar enough with the station and the area to help me out. I believe that there's at least a member or two from the area. There are a couple of things that I am trying to find out:

1. How far is the Illinois State campus/football stadium from the Amtrak station; is it walkable?

2. What about car rental facilities; this would be on a Saturday.

3. Public transportation and/or taxi availability?

Granted, its only a few hours, and we could probably drive up, but why drive when the train is an available alternative? Any information any has would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!!

I am potentially planning a trip to Bloomington/Normal in November to watch my Northern Iowa Panthers play the Illinois State Redbirds in football. I can easily catch the train here in St Louis for the trip up to Bloomington. However, I know nothing about the area, and am hoping that someone here is familiar enough with the station and the area to help me out. I believe that there's at least a member or two from the area. There are a couple of things that I am trying to find out:

1. How far is the Illinois State campus/football stadium from the Amtrak station; is it walkable?

Granted, its only a few hours, and we could probably drive up, but why drive when the train is an available alternative? Any information any has would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!!
Google maps are your friend - see this link:

MAP

Google maps are your friend - see this link:

MAP
Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Been a long week I guess....

There is a Marriott near the station. A good place to eat a meal while waiting for the train. Allow 30 minutes to get to station. You need to cross the tracks and don't need to be trapped on wrong side by a freight.

I'm just up the road from Bloomington/Normal and I'm there at least once a week. I'm sorry to say that I'm new to this area and can't answer your questions.

When you get into BNL, Uptown Normal is on the side of the tracks where the new transportation center is being built. Although I haven't tried the restaurant at the Marriott, I've been in Medici a couple of times and the food was great.

You can get a lot of information by doing a search of Uptown Normal, IL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back