Blizzard conditions predicted for Raton, NM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
Raton, NM

Monday 12/19

Very windy. Snow. Blowing snow. Snow accumulation 9 to 13 inches... except 13 to 17 inches above 7500 feet. Highs in the mid 20s to lower 30s. North winds 30 to 40 mph decreasing to 25 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 55 mph. 100% Chance of Precipitation

Tonight

Windy. Blowing snow in the evening. Snow in the evening... then snow showers after midnight. Snow accumulation 6 to 8 inches... except 7 to 11 inches above 7500 feet. Lows zero to 15. North winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 50 mph.

bQ42X.jpg

Yaaaaay! We're leaving on #3 Friday afternoon. I hope the snow sticks around. I haven't seen that area covered in snow yet.

It may stick around until Saturday for Raton Pass, but I guarantee that it won't stick in the High Plains for 5 more days unless another storm blows through.

Seeing as this isn't a common area for significant winter storms (at least in lower elevations) I wonder how the SWC will handle it. #4 is headed into the thick of it, and its schedule takes it from RAT through DDC at just about the height of the storm.

I seen that forecast this morning. They were talking about blizzard conditions in NE New Mexico and the Texas/Oklahoma panhandles.

I-25 is closed in NM. If you're interested, you can look at some highway cameras here: http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm#

I don't think there are railway cameras you can look at though
dry.gif
Awesome. I'm looking at the Raton Pass camera right now.

I was wondering about the SWC too. If it gets super thick/heavy accumulations and the train can't get through it, what happens? Bus bridge? And if they're nowhere near a road, how do they get everyone to a bus? Or would they plan that ahead of time?

Anyone on that train needs to be reading "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci. It's the best book for on-board reading for passengers on #3, especially during Christmas time!

I was wondering about the SWC too. If it gets super thick/heavy accumulations and the train can't get through it, what happens? Bus bridge? And if they're nowhere near a road, how do they get everyone to a bus? Or would they plan that ahead of time?
Bus bridge? Bad idea on snowed roads! SWC has option B- reroute from Witicha to connect on BNSF transcon. It happened several times. Last time was last summer when there was a forest fire in Raton area. Option C- bus. Option D- :ph34r: Cancellation.

UPDATE: I see that SWC #3 is 3 hours late in Las Vegas. The terrian between Las Vegas and Lamy is mountaineous. So close before reaching Lamy and you're safe after that. I hope the crew doesn't go outlawed since ABQ is its crew change. I-25 where the tracks go along is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWC :

ABQ Arrived: 3 hours and 10 minutes late.

Estimated Departure Time: 2 hours and 50 minutes late.

Bus bridge? Bad idea on snowed roads! SWC has option B- reroute from Witicha to connect on BNSF transcon. It happened several times. Last time was last summer when there was a forest fire in Raton area. Option C- bus. Option D- :ph34r: Cancellation.

UPDATE: I see that SWC #3 is 3 hours late in Las Vegas. The terrian between Las Vegas and Lamy is mountaineous. So close before reaching Lamy and you're safe after that. I hope the crew doesn't go outlawed since ABQ is its crew change. I-25 where the tracks go along is closed.
OT but....hey, I remember this! We had just finished our storm chase, and wanted to hit NM, TX and OK (to add to my list of states) on our way back to Indiana (and ultimately Philly) but after booking a room in Raton, we found out that I-25 was closed. It was difficult convincing Microtel that we wanted to cancel after the cancellation cut-off time because we physically could not get to the town.

Ok sorry, we now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion, already in progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bus bridge? Bad idea on snowed roads!
Oh yeah... I'm not sure why I didn't do that math. :p

Anyway, the boyfriend's family lives in Albuquerque and Jemez Springs. Albuquerque got a few inches. Not sure about Jemez yet (2000 feet higher than ABQ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back