binoculars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amatuer

Train Attendant
again, coming from a novice, another few questions?! Is it worthwhile to bring along binoculars while traveling (Empire builder). As the train moves along, can you take advantage of a set of binocs. How about picture taking as train moves. High speed settings?

I have taken binoculars but didn't really think they added much. The train is usually moving so fast that unless you are concentrating on things really far away, they weren't much use. We took them on the CZ trip earlier this year and the scenery was too close to make them effective. Also, with even the slight swaying back and forth of the train, difficult to keep them aimed at one object.

I also tried to shoot some movies. Here is an example (highspeed users only, almost 6 meg in size). We were climbing in the Rocky Mountains so speed wasn't too fast.

When I take still pictures I usually use at least 1/1000 shutter speed and even faster if there is good light. You can boost the ASA to help with the higher shutter speed.

My EB trip photos are here. You can see some scenery shots taken at very high speeds in the plains states. The last day was rainey and very difficult to get mountain shots with the low light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back