Bikes as luggage on train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berkyo

Service Attendant
Hi!

My daughter and friend are rounding up a bike trip. They are near the Fulton KY station. Can they take the bikes as luggage on the train from there to Roc NY (coach seats)? And if they can, how do they pack them? And is there an extra fee? The train seems to be the cheapest and easiest way home.

Thanks

Hi!
My daughter and friend are rounding up a bike trip. They are near the Fulton KY station. Can they take the bikes as luggage on the train from there to Roc NY (coach seats)? And if they can, how do they pack them? And is there an extra fee? The train seems to be the cheapest and easiest way home.

Thanks
You have to get a bike box. My daughter took hers out to Portland for college and we got the box from the bike shop. Here's a good instructional video with all the answers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PsLRIoPKt2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I presume you're talking "City of New Orleans" to Chicago and then the "Lake Shore Limited" to Rochester. However, Fulton does not have baggage service, but Rochester does.

The best bet for taking a bike would be driving to Carbondale, IL, which:

(1) has checked baggage service on the CONO, which entails boxing the bike as already stated. Bike boxes are sold at Carbondale station.

(2) also is served by the Illini and Saluki corridor trains that accept bikes for a $10 reservation as carry-on luggage, that is, with no need to box them as checked baggage.

Whichever one chooses, the bikes would have to be in boxes to be carried as checked luggage Chicago-Rochester on the LSL. If you don't box the bikes at Carbondale, bike boxes are sold at Chicago.

Ok, thanks. Did not realize that there was not checked baggage.

There is no checked baggage on the City of New Orleans to Chicago.Here are the rules: http://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard
Fulton KY as a station doesn't have checked baggage but the City of New Orleans as a train does. Memphis and Jackson MS are both served by the CONO alone, and both have checked baggage service and bike boxes for sale per the Amtrak website.

Thanks for the info. This forum always delivers fast!

I do understand that the train does take baggage, but not that station, bad choice of words:) They do not have the means to drive anywhere so long story short, they are getting a lift to someplace where we can drop off a car for them.

The next time they are in the market for bikes, have them check out folding bikes. They go as carry on luggage.

The next time they are in the market for bikes, have them check out folding bikes. They go as carry on luggage.
Yeah - but folding bikes are generally lousy for any kind of bike touring. They tend to be heavy and most aren't efficient for any kind of long distance travel. I know if can be done, but some reports I've read of trips with folding bikes were that the non-standard bike parts made repairs a little bit difficult on the road. Here's a guy who says he tried it, but would recommend a full sized bike for anyone going long distances.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=44127

They have their advantages of course, but it's usually for commuting when bike storage is difficult and/or an employer won't allow one to bring a full-sized bike into a building. They're generally fine for bridging the last few miles at the end of a commute.

I have heard of some full-sized bikes that break down and fold into carry-on size. Dahon had one, but I it's been discontinued.

http://dahon.com/lang-1/mainnav/folding-bikes/single-view/bike/tournado.html

WLC77500009_Tournado_unfolded_gross.png
WLC77500009_Tournado_fold_gross.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I started thinking about it, and I guess one issue with someone who might be going bike touring is what to do with the box.

I understand people using bike boxes for racing bikes when traveling to race location. Or using cardboard boxes and getting a new one for every time the bike is transported.

I've broken down bikes and brought them along as carry-on baggage- wheels and racks usually go in one box and the frame in another. It helps to pop off the pedals and handlebars. Not the neatest package, but it has worked. If you are going on a long bike trip you probably have all the tools and know-how you need.

I've broken down bikes and brought them along as carry-on baggage- wheels and racks usually go in one box and the frame in another. It helps to pop off the pedals and handlebars. Not the neatest package, but it has worked. If you are going on a long bike trip you probably have all the tools and know-how you need.
Wouldn't that put someone at the carry-on limit of 2?

Yeah - but folding bikes are generally lousy for any kind of bike touring. They tend to be heavy and most aren't efficient for any kind of long distance travel.
Erie Canal from BUF to ALB (Lake Shore Limited)

cohoes2.jpg

Great Allegheny Passage, PGH to CUM (Capitol Limited)

divide.jpg

BRH to HMD by way of Mobile, AL (City of New Orleans)

wiggins2.jpg

beach1.jpg

I started thinking about it, and I guess one issue with someone who might be going bike touring is what to do with the box.
You have the same problem with a suitcase. Much simpler to ride off from the station.

arrive.jpg

This is the Amtrack policy on folding bikes:

Folding Bikes Brought Aboard as Carry-On BaggageFolding bicycles may be brought aboard certain passenger cars as carry-on baggage. Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.

You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.

Check out Origaimi bikes at www.origamibicycles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back