Bike on train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
What is the procedure for taking a bike on the train . I usually take the 302 that goes between St . Louis and Chicago. I will be getting on in Bloomington. The train is not a superliner. Is it possible , without having to box it?

Here 's the deal on Amtrak with bicycles, from the Amtrak web site:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Options for Our Bike-Riding Passengers

We offer several options for transporting your bicycle with you on your Amtrak journey. Options include:

* Bicycles stored onboard in bike racks.

* Bicycles checked as baggage in a box or other secure container.

* Bicycles checked as baggage secured by tie-down equipment, not in a box.

* Folding bicycles brought onboard as carry-on baggage.

Bicycles Stored Onboard in Bicycle Racks

On some Amtrak trains you can roll your bike up to the train and secure it in a bike rack, unboxed.

Availability

Availability of this service varies widely from train to train, and station to station. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800- 872-7245) to determine whether bicycle rack space is available on a particular train and route.

Please reserve space early

You can reserve space for bicycles when you make a ticket reservation. We charge a fee (generally ranging from $5 to $10 depending on route and distance traveled) for reserving a space in the bike rack. If space is available, you will be issued a ticket for bike rack space. Please be prepared to give this ticket to the conductor when boarding with your bicycle.

If a space on the bicycle rack is unavailable, you may be able to check your bike as carry-on baggage. See below.

Secure your bike

On some trains, bungee cords and locking mechanisms are incorporated into the bicycle rack. You may find it useful to bring your own bungee cords to further secure your bike to the rack.

No unusual bikes allowed

Please note that bicycle racks will not accommodate tandem, recumbent, or other unusual bikes. Such bikes must be transported as checked baggage, in a box. Please see below.

Specially designated spaces only

Bikes may not be transported in the vestibule of any car, except in spaces specially designated on certain limited trains.

Liability

Amtrak disclaims liability for loss of or damage to bicycles carried onboard and stored in bike racks.

Bikes as Checked Baggage

You can bring your bicycle on Amtrak as checked baggage between all cities where checked baggage services are offered. Keep in mind that not all stations or trains have checked baggage service, and that baggage service may not be available every day. For more information, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your agent.

Tips for successfully packing your bicycle:

* Check your bicycle at the station at least an hour before departure.

* Bicycles usually must be partially disassembled: Loosen and turn the handlebars sideways, and remove the pedals. Both wheels must remain in the forks. Nothing may protrude from the box or make the box bulge. Nothing except the bicycle may be placed in the box.

* Please bring your own tools. It may be helpful to disassemble and reassemble your bike before your trip to avoid any surprises. Some parts, especially pedals, may be especially difficult to remove.

* You may bring your own box or purchase one at the station. Bicycle boxes (new or used) are also usually available for purchase at staffed stations that accept checked baggage. The cost of each box is $10. Call ahead for details and to make sure that boxes are available. Local bicycle shops also may be able to provide you with boxes. After your trip, you may keep your box and use it again if it is in good condition.

* You may also use a container especially designed for transporting bicycles. Such containers must have handles and must be fully closed and latched, with no portion of the bike exposed.

* Attach your name and address to the box.

Tandem bicycles may be checked and require two boxes, telescoped together.

The fee for checking a bike as baggage is $5. This is subject to change without notice.

Bikes as Checked Baggage on Trains with Tie-Down Equipment

Some trains have tie-down equipment in the baggage car or other areas designated for checked baggage. Where such equipment is available, you can check your bike without a box or other container.

This space is limited, and you must reserve it. Typically, there is a reservation charge.

You must accompany your unboxed bike on its journey on the same train. We will not accept unaccompanied bikes.

Bicycles not in containers are more likely to be damaged in transit. Accordingly, we disclaim liability for bikes shipped unboxed.

For assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Folding Bikes Brought Aboard as Carry-On Baggage

Folding bicycles may be brought aboard certain passenger cars as carry-on baggage. Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.

You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.

Bicycles on Auto Train

We cannot carry automobiles with bicycles loaded on the roof. Please see our Auto Train Vehicle Requirements for details.

Bicycles on Amtrak Express

Regular bicycles, tandem bicycles, and unicycles may be shipped on Amtrak Express. Bikes must be securely packed in a box. Bicycles are generally exempt from Amtrak Express size requirements. More information is available on our Amtrak Express page.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--on a hunch, I brought up the South Florda Tri-Rail system's web site, and they DO allow bicycles: http://tri-rail.com/rider_info/bike_permit.htm

They originally required a permit to do this, but discontinued that requirement. Now they are allowed on rail cars with a bicycle decal, but only if space is available. There is a bicycle rack on those cars, and velcro straps to secure them.

I think a foldable bike may be a better option is it does not seem to reliable or easy to get a bike on board.

I think it depends on what train you want to take it on, and you have to check with Amtrak beforehand to find out what the bicycle-handling details are on that particular train. Some apparently have bike racks and some don't. Even with Tri-Rail in Miami, it is a very limited (at the moment) capacity - a space problem, on the cars that do have racks. I notice that the Orlando area bus systems are carrying bicycles on the front rack more and more frequently, and I expect that as time goes on, public transport systems generally will gravitate toward enough bike-carrying capacity for everybody but who knows how long that will take... But with $3+ per gallon of gas, it looks more and more attractive. And it has a substantial health benefit as well, unless you get hit by a vehicle while you're bicycling.

And I do seem to remember seeing folding bicycles advertised in a number of flying (pilot) catalogs, for folks who fly small aircraft, to give them transportation at their destinations, without having to rent a car. Not real practical if you have anything in the way of baggage, but if you are just out flying and land somewhere and want to get to a local restaurant for a bite to eat, that might be just the thing, provided there is some way to secure it at the restaurant while you're eating so that you don't end up walking back to the airport..........

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the procedure for taking a bike on the train . I usually take the 302 that goes between St . Louis and Chicago... Is it possible , without having to box it?
The 300-number Illinois services are among the few Amtrak services that allow unboxed bikes on board. I've done this on the Cascades, but not (yet) on the Illinois service. It's quite simple, really, but does require a bit of staff intervention.

You may have to buy a surcharge ticket ($5 or $10) for the bike; ask the station agent. Queue early for boarding; train personnel will take the bike and hang it in the baggage car. At St. Louis, ask the conductor upon exiting where you can retrieve your bike; for me, it was unloaded alongside the baggage onto the platform by the baggage car (far end of the train).

I just wish it were this easy for more LD trains -- not that checking boxed bikes is all that difficult, but baggage service is disappearing fast nationwide. (Signed on to this board to figure out if there was any baggage service to the Lake Champlain area: three trains, no bags.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back