Bigger Amtrak budget brings veto threat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WASHINGTON - President Bush's plans to close down Amtrak's money-losing long distance routes were dealt another setback Tuesday as a Senate panel approved a sizable boost to the budget for the ailing railroad. The move earned an immediate veto threat from the Bush administration.

The latest development in the struggle over Amtrak's future came as a Senate Appropriations Committee panel unanimously approved a $136 billion bill for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1 for transportation and housing programs and Treasury Department agencies like the IRS.

Bush's February budget proposed eliminating Amtrak's operating subsidy and setting aside $360 million to run trains along the Northeast Corridor if the railroad were to slide into bankruptcy. The administration says the plan ultimately would produce a passenger rail system with stronger routes and entice subsidies from local governments.

Amtrak received a $1.2 billion subsidy for the current year but the Senate measure would boost that to $1.4 billion for next year.

Story

Anyone know what language was put in about food operations. Articles are saying the senate added restrictions that money cant be used to cover loses on food service...IE..diners, lounges?

Why cant anything ever roll in Amtraks favor?

You all probably know by now..I dispise Mineta more then anyone else probably. Even after making an ass of himself in Alaska last month he still doesnt know when to shut up. This part of todays article kills me....

"Sen. Christopher Bond (news, bio, voting record), R-Mo., chairman of the Senate Appropriations transportation subcommittee, said Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta told him the higher funding could result in a veto.

"He said Mineta called him just before the hearing and "was pleased to convey to me that without a major reform package, the president's advisers would recommend a veto ... with funding at that level..."

I dont want to say anything that might come across as a personal attack, actually I really do, but I wont.

Well this is indeed good news as far as Amtrak goes. Bush will receive lots scrutiny if he vetoed this huge bill. I think it is fairly unlikely he will veto it, as it is rare to do so. Whats the next step?? Full commitee?

Back