better way to get to California?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on where in CA your going, how much time you have, and how much $$/points you want to spend.

You're going to Los Angeles, right?

Definitely the Southwest Chief. It's faster and more reliable.

If you want the most scenery, though, take the EB to the CS.

I was just on the Eb West bound and it is stricken by freight. I didn't care because I had time and had to see the area. The route seemed to flow and went well for me. I had a gps running and the stopped time was 5 hrs. Our train ran very well,and safe.

I will do the southern routes next time

I agree with avoiding the Empire Builder until the current Cluster Flub is rectified!

Consider riding the Zephyr to Emeryville, spend some time in the Bay Area, take the Starlight to LAX (catch the PPC before its gone!), then the Chief back to CHI! You didn't indicate if you only wanted to spend time in LAX but if you have the time the above routes are hard to beat!

When going to California, I would suggest the Southwest Chief to LA, reason being: the scenery in New Mexico and Arizona is

very interesting, Of course the Coast Starlight north to EMY and then a detour overnight to SFW to check out San Francisco.

Then, the California Zephyr from EMY through Denver back to Chicago. Of course on the eastbound CZ you travel through the

Sierras and Rockies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also traveling CHI-LAX round trip this summer. I agree with all the previous posters who said to avoid the EB. It's a giant mess. California Zephyr to Coast Starlight would be my route of choice, if I had the AGR points to do it. SWC would be the fastest and most reliable route.

Yet somehow, the tickets I have printed out list my route as EB-CS, round trip. I'm either extraordinarily stupid or inordinately fond of the EB-CS scenery. Or both. I'm also extremely optimistic if I think that I'll actually make it through both trips unscathed by major problems, bustitutions, or delays.

Are you serious? Take the train that takes you where you want to go and gets you there when you want to arrive.
Don't belittle them. Some people like to take scenery into consideration.

The best way to get from Chicago to LAX is to take the City Of New Orleans. Take it to NOL, take the Layola Ave to Canal St, walk into the the French Quarter, go to a restaurant, order some Beignet and drink a few mimosas. Then, before booking yourself on the Sunset Limited, contemplate carefully what insanity lead you to want to go to LA in the first place.

Someone needs to explain to what the whole LA draw is. A hateful place with hateful people too hot to be comfortable, too dry to cool off. I was just there. I feel like rewriting the lyrics...

Love New York City

It's moist and it's cool,

And all the people dressed like they should be

And I'll take back Chicago from the Eskimos

That towns just enough rugged

For you and me girl.

Rollin' down the Imperial Highway

With a big nasty redhead at my side

Santa Ana winds blowin' hot from the north

It's like we were born to sphitz!

Roll up the window, put up the top

Shut off the Beach Boys, baby

I'll get on at the next train stop

Im gonna ride it till i just can't ride it no more

Take the Southwest to the Lake Shore

From the West Coast to the East Coast

I'm now Very Happy!

'Cause the suns not shining all the time

And I missed another crappy day

I HATE L.A. (We HATE it)

I HATE L.A. (We HATE it)

I think it might have been the way I was exposed to it. I hung out with a friend and didn't rush around all week. It was very relaxing. I went in early March, when it was icy cold in Michigan and nice out there. The air had this vibe to it - I can't describe it. I just loved it. There was an energy I couldn't put my finger on.

We drove down to Long Beach and went on one of those whale-watching boats. It was kind of cold that day (58), so there weren't very many people with us. It was peaceful and quiet. I love being on the water. We didn't see any whales, but I loved just being out on the boat, listening to the waves, watching the freighters arrive.

We also went to Venice Beach, which was empty since it was so "cold". I walked around in the water for a bit. There were a couple of vendors open. I bought a little Traveling Buddha statue for my desk. I still have it.

Then we went to Hollywood Blvd. I got to see the stars on the sidewalk, and we went to a huge record store (Tower Records? Virgin?) Then we watched a protest march, and some celebrities got up on a stage and spoke for a while. Afterward, I almost ran smack into Martin Sheen. Literally. I had to dodge to keep from crashing into him. I just said, "Sorry," smiled, put my head down, and kept walking. So that answers my question about how I'd act around a celebrity. (Hide, apparently.)

We also drove down Wilshire Blvd so I could see the expensive shops in Beverly Hills.

Then we drove down Mulholland Drive since I'm a huge David Lynch fan.

The rest of the time was spent driving around at night so I could see the lights and interstates, listening to The Doors while hanging out at Venice Beach, eating amazing vegetarian and vegan food, watching "V for Vendetta" at the theatre, sitting by the water, hanging out at the pier near Newport Beach, watching the sunset at Signal Hill, and apartment hunting in Hollywood (where I met some crazy characters).

For me, it was a great experience. I didn't get to see downtown, and I didn't run into any shallow people, so that might be why I loved it. Everyone I met was a friend of my friend, and we were in areas full of people like us. It was very cool. I spent one day and night driving my rental car all over the place while my friend worked a double shift, and it was just amazing. I felt so free, like I could do anything or be anything. It felt like anything was possible out there. Palm trees always look so magical to me, so exotic, so the weather combined with the ocean breeze and the palm trees - I just felt... alive. I felt that way when I went to San Francisco too, so even though I'm completely and totally a Chicago girl at heart, the west coast just speaks to me. I feel like I left part of myself out there.

Oh, the best part - it rained one day, and people went bonkers. I was on the 405, and people started pulling over and stopping on the shoulder. It wasn't raining hard. It was one of those light, summery rains that we get all the time. I kept wondering what was going on, why people were slowing to a crawl and freaking out, and then I realized rain out there is like a snowstorm to us. I laughed really hard, put the wipers on, and kept going 70 mph. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I like San Francisco. Los Angeles has always been poison to me. No matter where I am or wht i do, ever pair of dice thrown always comes up craps out there.

I'm a large guy with a bad leg. I walk with a cane. Sometimes I walk fine, other times each step is a struggle. In New Jersey, people generally give me a wide berth but that's it. Which is fine. In New York one guy pushed past me enough to destabilize me for a second. Another pedestrian cuffed them and gave them the what for about treating disabled people with respect. In New Orleans and San Francisco, people treat a cane the same way many people treat a wheelchair in New Jersey- held doors, surrendered seats, and so on- which trust me, can be a godsend sometimes. In Los Angeles, it was like it was the custom to push and shove aside slow moving people, cane or no cane, and several people actually kicked the cane out from under me- the first time I thought it was an accident, but I'm less sure now.

I have never been in a city with a worse attitude, and I include Camden, NJ in that statement.

I have noticed aggressive behavior in the LA area in past years. But U have also spent some excellent time at Disney concert hall, staying at the nearby Millenium Biltmore Hotel.

Interesting, GML. My fiancee (who uses a cane) has never had any trouble in LA. But then, I'm told I give off "don't mess with me" vibes. A dangerous-seeming, overprotective boyfriend may intimidate almost everyone into behaving themselves.

LA's a weird town, but I usually saw better attitudes there than in NYC. The worst problem I've seen was a sort of "manana" attitude. (Stay away from the theme parks, though, they're very different from "real" LA.)

I like LA. Have lived there in the past and enjoyed it very much. Southern California has had a warm, dry winter this year. But I won't complain about high 70s or 80s weather in January. I think the numbers tell the story that most people prefer milder winters than not. I would be happier if they didn't as housing prices would not be so high here. I'd love to move to a lousy city with bad weather like Santa Monica or San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back