Better Deal on Roomette on Empire Builder to MT and Upgrade question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scutterbear

Train Attendant
Hi there everyone. I guess it's been a year since I've been on here. Haven't traveled since last Christmas.

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping the more experienced can help me with. I've only traveled a couple times in my life by train.

My mom lives in Kalispell, Montana (whitefish) and she wants me to come up for Christmas. We had decided prior that I wasn't coming up this year but now she's changed her mind. Mom's always get the final say, don't they? :eek: )

I would be traveling out of Memphis, TN to chicago and then from Chicago to Whitefish. Probably sometime at the end of next week or first of the week after that.

I would very much prefer to get a roomette instead of coach. On that long of a trip (2 days at least) I think I'd be more comfortable in a roomette instead of coach.

I checked roomette prices from CHI to Whitefish and they are running about $650.00. I know it's a shot in the dark, but is there any way to get a better price? I was just pricing it online at amtrak.com

And my second question is............

If I can't get a better deal on a roomette, is there is a difference in business class or first class vs. coach?

I'm not familiar with the different classes on the trains so not sure what to do here. I've heard the terms business/first class but not sure the difference between them if that makes sense.

And if I opt for one of those, I'm assuming I would need to call and book my reservation as I didn't see an option online?

and one more question...............

I know that it's very hard to get an upgrade to a roomette if you are booked in coach. But if I were to try, do they charge the price that is online for that trip (i,e. the $650) or is it cheaper if you are actually able to get an upgrade while on the train?

Thank you all for any answers you can help with. I appreciate it very much. I was set to not travel but it's hard to deny a mom when she hasn't seen you in a year and she's in bad health.

Thanks!

mark

You will be travelling on the New Orleans and the Empire Builder, neither have business class just coach and sleeper.

If an onboard upgrade is available and ifthe conductor wants to process it, it prices at low bucket. I would not bank on this during holiday travel unless Chicago or Minneapolis gets another snow diasopa and many people miss their travel. Have you considered flying into Seattle/Portland/Spokane and taking the train east?

I hate to burst your bubble, but the chances if there being an unoccupied sleeper during the holidays are very low (if that high)! What you may want to do is book a sleeper now (even at the high price), and then keep checking once or more a day to see if someone cancelled (at a lower price). Remember not to print your tickets. as that will make the change much easier. If you do see a lower fare, book that one first BEFORE you cancel the other reservation. If you do decide to cancel the room. MAKE SURE you do so at least 7 days before departure! (Otherwise the accommodation charge is non-refundable!)

And if by chance there is an unoccupied room, it can be sold by the Conductor ONCE YOU STEP ABOARD THE TRAIN at the lowest price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back