BEST STATIONS EVER

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Amtrak electricfied the main line all the way to BOS from NHV, it was determined that the station was too close to the tracks. So they MOVED THE WHOLE STATION BACK A FEW FEET! This was not the easy way out (by knocking down part of the building), they moved the WHOLE (200'+ LONG) BUILDING IN ONE PIECE!
This is what the plan for the Sacramento, CA station is. They're going to be moving the old brick building something like 300 feet to the other side of the tracks. It's a historical building made of all bricks. It really is pretty impressive when you step inside of it!
Not to the other side of the tracks. The old SP shop and freight tracks are gone. The idea is to move both the tracks and the station to the north, and I would think the distance would be mroe than 300 feet, if done right. If you look to the east, you will see that t he trains make a pair of 90 degree turns after getting out of the station. Not sure what the exact plan is, and some of what I have heard sounds like it is somewhat half-baked, but if done right, including a new and higher river bridge to the west to either get rid of the draw span or at least get it to where most river traffic can go under it, the change should straighten out the line and speed up the trains through the city.

I already mentioned NWK. It is damned impressive, one of my favourite train watching spots. I don't think they platforms need any work though. Hope they don't screw them up.
The only major work that is planned for the platforms are:

1. Extension of Platform 5 so that it can berth two Raritan Valley line trains at once. This will allow them to bring in an additional set into the station opportunistically from the Hudson yard as and when they find a gap in the eastbound traffic, even before the previous scheduled train has had a chance to depart.

2. Addition of exits from the platforms to the old CNJ overpass for providing direct pedestrian access to/from the Prudential Center.

3. Redoing of the platform edges where they are falling apart here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back