Best Routes in 2011?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PPC is a former Sante Fe Hi-Liner, and there are only 5 left in existence. The CS needs 4 to run from LAX to SEA and back, and one is kept for backup and repair.
There are only 5 left in Amtrak's fleet. There is one more PPC that is privately owned, purchased from Amtrak several years ago. I don't know if it has been kept in running condition or not.
There were only 5 Hi-Level "Top of the 'Cap/Kachina Coffee Shop" lounge cars ever built, the cars which were ultimately converted into the PPCs. Santa Fe needed 5 for for each of the 5 El Capitan sets that were required for Chicago-Los Angeles service on that train, so "left" is kind of a misnomer. They are the only Hi-Levels of any type left on the Amtrak roster, though, but the lounge version of the Hi-Level were/are the only ones with the wrap-around windows that are one of the hallmarks of the PPCs.
I cannot speak to the origin of the PPC's and the hows & whys of what was built, much less converted into PPC's.

But I can tell you with 100% certainty that Amtrak at one point in time owned and operated 6 PPC's. They were numbered 39970-39975. A quick check of the OTOL roster shows that 39971 is no longer on the roster. It was sold in 2001, as confirmed by this website.
Sorry, didn't have my reference material available. There were 6, 5 for the required minimum sets for El Cap service, 1 for protection (what a concept) since it was/is a "feature" car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone who's posted for their insights and thoughts.

I booked a trip from Indianapolis to Chicago on the Cardinal and take the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles. in two weeks. My plans have a way of changing, but I can use the trip and I need to be in LA so hopefully it all works out. I have a roomette on the SWC and the rate wasn't bad at all. Hopefully the next few months will find me on the Sunset Limited and the California Zephyr as well.

And thanks for the "Super" book recommendation. I plan to download that for my Kindle.

Loved the comments about the "happy" crew. Would love to to hear more thoughts on which trains have the best crews.

I'm sorry to hear that the PPC is strictly a Coast Starlight phenomenon. I spent most of my time there. When I took the Sunset Limited a few weeks earlier, I met a senior Amtrak Executive who told me they were planning to upgrade the service on the Empire Builder, but I took the train a month later before they could have implemented the changes. He also told me that Amtrak had bid on the American Orient Express equipment but lost. Pity. Anyone know what's become of that set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back